36. Learning the Enemy

I slowly opened my eyes seeing that I was wrapped up in Al. I rested my head back on his chest listening to his heartbeat. Despite how annoying he is it's comforting having him near me. I should just let my petty hate for him, but honestly I don't want to. I can't explain why, I just can't. I closed my eyes, trying to go to sleep again when an alarm went off. Al groaned and reached over to turn it off. I sat still pretending to be asleep. I didn't wanna have to get off of him and let him go. I wanted him to stay. He stayed put for a couple minutes before rubbing my back and prying my left arm from around him. I fought against it and he sighed softly begging me to stop. Eventually, I gave up and flipped over still trying to keep up my act. I wondered what time it was and where he was going. I squeezed my eyes shut telling myself to let it go and stop being jealous. After giving myself a five minute pep talk about why I couldn't care I was able to fall asleep.

I groaned at the sound of my own alarm and reached over picking my phone up. I rubbed my eyes and sat up yawning. I got out a bed and brushed my teeth while turning on the shower. After refreshing myself I walked into the kitchen to make myself something to eat. Afterwards I decided to go to the gym, I worked out for a couple hours before hitting the showers and heading out. I called Riley to see if he was available and met him at the park.

"Ezzy." He said bear hugging me and picking me up. "I missed you girl."

"I missed you, too." I said laughing. "Sorry for making you come out. I would've shown up at your place but I just don't want any scandals."

"No it's fine I understand." He said staring at me. "Al treating you right?"

"Yeah, actually." I said laughing. "But let's not talk about relationships. I just wanted to hang out with you as my friend. Plus Al has this friend and I need your opinion on her as a male." I said rolling my eyes.

"Ok, I overstepped my boundary." He said putting his hands up.

"No you didn't. I don't mind talking to you about it, it's just a little weird." I told him biting my lip.

"Well, what's up? What's the problem? Or rather who."

"His friend Romona." I said pouting.

"Romona?! The super fine foreign Mami?!" I looked at him with a shocked and worried look and he bust out laughing. "What you worried about her for? Do you know how long we've been trying to dig up dirt on those two. There's nothing. Their relationship outside of just being friends doesn't exist. It's a huge things to some of my friends. They've spent years trying to catch them. Yet nothing."

"Really?" I asked hopefully.

He nodded. "Yeah, and I mean if something is going on it can't stay a secret forever." He said shrugging. "But I don't think you have anything to worry about between them."

"Ok." I said sighing and putting my hands in my hands. "I've been so rude towards her thinking that she's some hoe. I feel so bad."

"Don't feel bad, if it makes you feel better she has slept with a lot of high ranked politicians, so she is kind of a hoe." Riley said.

"I've never heard anything about this." I said.

"Men pay good money not to have it exposed. Your brother included." My mouth dropped and I shook my head. "Yeah, a couple years back she was dating Andrew Yang and one of my guys caught them together. We got a lot of nice upgrades that year."

"Riley are you serious?" I asked not believing anything I was hearing.

"Yeah. Of course you have to pretend like you don't know because I'd be breaking my contract, but I can trust you." He said smiling.

"Anything else? Does Al know?"

"I'd bet so and that's why he stays away from her. Before she got into politics, people used to pay her to get pics with celebs and then use those pics to double back the money, but one time they got caught. Romona got away untouched but other guys went down hard." Riley said. "I can't believe you don't know this. The other stuff is news, but this is common knowledge."

"I don't know." I said shrugging. "I just assumed she was Al's toy, nothing that devious."

"Yeah." Riley said pulling out his phone.

"I don't even know what to think anymore." I said shaking my head. "I wanna be nice to her because she's not sleeping with Al, but at the same time she almost cost my brother his reputation."

"It was years ago. Old news. The pictures are gone. It was in the contract." Riley said shrugging.

"Yeah, but the thought that he was so easily manipulated by a photo." I said sighing.

"Yeah, thats why Al tells you to be careful." Riley told me. "That's why we met here. In a park. Because you knew showing up to my home in your workout attire could lead to some issues. The same issues like with your brother."

"I guess that's true." I said sighing. "I guess I really don't know anything." I said rolling my eyes. "I'm freaking useless. Just born to be married off I didn't ask for this."

"Hey, it's a 150 year old peace treaty. At least your daughter doesn't have to go through that because then she'd be marrying her cousin. And nobody wants that. Because it's against the law and it's gross." He said putting his hand on my shoulder and shaking me. I laughed and wiped away the tear from my eye.

"Yeah, that would be gross."

"Besides you don't hate him and you're both getting along. You're lucky in that regard, maybe you two will end up being the best thing that ever happened to each other?" He said nudging me. I smirk and stood up.

"Come on let's go get lunch. I'm starving." I said walking away.