TWENTY SIX

"Well now that we're all caught up

"Well now that we're all caught up." Quinn said. "What's it going to be Mal?"

Mal bit her lip, her mind whirling with a way to get out of this without having to go through all this. There had to be another way. She couldn't keep playing playing into their traps. She couldn't keep playing their games. There had to be another way and she would find it. She couldn't lose any more of them. She had to make sure of that.

"Gino?" Mal whispered to the boy that now stood next to her.

"Yeah?" Gino asaked.

"You can't stay here." Mal said. "We're taking you Crystal and Pandora back."

"No." Gino said. "I'm not going anywhere. She is my sister and I'm getting her back."

"But if you stay." Mal said. "You'll be at risk too Gino. you don't know what they are capable of."

"And you do?" Gino asked. "You've been gone for four months Mal." Gino said. "And in those four months they lost all the respect they had for you. Now tell me if you have a plan."

"To take you back home." Evie said. "Then we're coming back here."

"And we'll save your sister." Carlos said. "We promise."

Gino looked down at his feet, thinking long and hard of what he was to do. Could he walk away when he was so close? Did he trust the VKs to  get the job done? They had helped Arabella get the trident back, maybe he should let them do this themselves. They seemed to know what they were doing.

But a part of him wanted to know his parents were okay the minute they were found. That Gigi was okay. He wanted to think this was all a nightmare, something his mind had created after all the stress it had gone through to do what his parents had asked and not tell Gigi. it had taken a lot of willpower and a lot of him trying not  to slip up but in the end he'd respected their wishes even if he didn't agree with them.

"I have a better idea." CJ said.

"You do?" Jay asked with a frown.

"You can take us all back." Freddie said. "And Gino can stay with you."

"Running away so soon Calista Jane?" Harriet asked with a pout. "We were just getting started."

"I'm not scared of you Harriet." CJ said. "Besides you told me to leave. So I'll be leaving thank you very much."

"You actually did something I asked of you." Harriet said. "Took you long enough."

"Okay everyone shut up." Chelsea said. "So what I am getting here is you are taking all of them back except for Sunshine's brother. Which leaves you with a lot less people to help you fight when you need it. Strange choice. But okay. You do you Mal."

"I see no problem with it." Mal said with a shrug.

"So we'll take that cool boat thing you brought here." CJ said. "And you can take my rowboat.

"No." Mal said. "You take your own rowboat. We'' get you one of those later."

"You'd do that for little old me?"

"Sure CJ." Mal said. "If it means I don't have to sit in that thing."

"I feel insulted." CJ said.

"Don't be." Harriet said. "Just shows that father loves me best."

"Please don't get started on that again." Sammy said. "It was just as annoying the first time."

"Whatever you say Smee." Harriet said, looking around. "By the way where did your sister go? I was sure she was here a minute ago. Where'd Gil go?"

"If you were paying attention." Uma said. "And wasn't bickering with CJ.you'd remember that they were the ones who were delivering the important prisoners."

"Did you know that Sam said she liked you best?" CJ said. "I felt insulted but understood where she was coming from at the same time."

"Just another person who likes me better." Harriet said, flipping her brown locks over shoulder.

"Can you two shut up?" Uma asked.

"No." CJ and Harriet said at the same time.

Gino watched the two bicker some more, sharing some unkindly words that would have gotten him detention for a week by Fairy Godmother. When they were done, Mal ushered them toward the boat, loading their five friends into CJ's rowboat.

✫✳︎✳︎✫↤

"GIL YOU DIDN'T have to throw them so hard." Sam chastised as the two peered into the cell.

"I didn't mean to." Gil said sheepishly. "I'm sorry."

"No problem." Rapunzel said, sitting up. "I've been through this before. Eighteen years of my life."

"She means being locked up by Mother Gothel." Sam said when Gil stared at her in confusion.

"Oh." Gil said his eyes lightning up in realization. "I remember that story."

"You mean when Mother Gothel told it for like the millionth time?" Sam asked. "I mean everyone here has told there stories so many times. It gets a bit annoying."

"Interesting." Eugene said. "You kids seem...nice. Anyway if you could do us the favor of letting us go it would be real nice."

"We can't." Sam said. "Captain's orders."

"You mean the girl with the braids?" Eugene asked. "What was her name again?"

"Uma."

"Would this Uma girl support you through everything?" Eugene asked. "Or does she stop you from doing something you want."

"It goes both ways." Ssam said. "And I don't have time to chat with you."

"It seems you have all the time in the world."

"No." Sam said. it's nearly midnight and I still need to pick up my brothers from my dad."

"You're out here caring for all these other people." Rapunzel said. "When you need someone who can take care of you. Tell me sweetheart who is your father?"

"You guys are way too nice, it's sickening." Sam said. "But I'm the daughter of Smee."

"The guy that worked for Captain Hook?" Eugene said. "Never met the guy."

"Thanks for your input." Sam said.

"What about you Gil?" Rapunzel asked, clearly trying to stall. "Who's your father?"

"Gaston." Gil said with pride as Rapunzel nodded.

"What about your mother?" Rapunzel asked as the grins fell off of both their faces,

"I never knew her." Gil said.

"That's so sad." Rapunzel said. "I'm sorry I asked." She hesitantly repeated the same question to Sam.

"My mom's the Evil Queen." Sam said.

"So you're Evie's sister?" Rapunzel asked as Sam nodded. "This Uma girl and Mal have this sort of feud going on yes?" Gil and Sam nodded once more. "So why may I ask did you two end up on different sides."

"Because we grew up differently." Sam said. "I lived with my dad and she lived with my mom. I understand you're trying to stall but-."

Heels clicked behind them as Sam and Gil hesitantly turned to face the shadow that was behind them.

"Samantha. Gil." Mother Gothel said, sweetly. "Thank you for delivering my prisoners."