Chapter 35- Hang Overs

I opened my eyes and got blinded by the sun seeping through my window. I groaned immediately as my head started pounding. I rolled out of bed and looked in the mirror, I squinted my eyes and saw how terrible I looked with bloodshot eyes and a half dead expression on my face. I decided I need a pain killer for my headache, so I managed to pull my hair into a bun and stumble out of my room. My phone told me it was 9am, which was a disgusting time to wake up after a long night.

I lazily thudded down the stairs and was surprised to see Colby in the kitchen snacking on something. "Morning," I grumbled which made Colby look at me surprised, "Oh you look- erm," he stuttered and I gave a half hearted smile, "Yeah- I know," I cut in as I reached up to the top cabinet and grabbed two pain killers. I grabbed a glass and filled it with tap water, before swallowing the pills.

I sat on the bar stools next to the kitchen counter and rested my arms on the counter with my head buried in the them. "So...How much of last night do you remember?" Colby asks while jumping onto the counter across from me.

I sat up and leaned my back on the chair while stretching my arms out behind me. "I don't know?" I said then closed my eyes and tried to focus on what I could remember. Then suddenly everything dawned on me. David, the drinking, the dancing, being in the hallway, falling over, Colby and the blonde chick, then our little argument in the car. My mouth hung open and my eyes met Colbys who gave me a sad, knowing smile. "Oh my god!" I screeched shocked. "What the hell was I thinking?" I accused myself, embarrassed and upset. "You weren't, the alcohol was," Colby commented but I just shook my head. Then it dawned on me again, I stared at Colby intensely. "Thank you! Thank you! Oh my gosh you saved me! Multiple times, thank you!" I scrambled my words out but Colby just gave me a small smile.

"That dude was a piece of work, I couldn't let him hurt you. I care about you too much," Colby said but muttered the last part. I sat not knowing what to say, "Well, I owe you one, or like 10," I giggle and he smiled, "It was nothing."

"Well I've got some stuff to sort out today, I'll see you later," Colby said while quickly getting off the counter while grabbing his phone. I watched him confused as he walked towards the front door. My heart screamed at me to stop him and tell him i'm sorry that I didn't listen, and that if he still wanted to be with me, I'd love to. But before I could comprehend words, he was gone. I leant my face in my hands again and rubbed my eyes tiredly. "Why am I such a mess?" I groaned to myself.

- - -

It was 5pm and Colby was still not back, all day I have been going over what to say to him. Every minute I wished to hear the sound of the front door opening, but it never did. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours.

"Hey Riley?" I heard Kat call to me from the kitchen. I got off the bean bags and went into the kitchen, "Yes?" I asked with a smile. "Do you want to go out and get a coffee with me?" She asked sweetly, I could go for coffee. "Yeah that'd be great," I answered, "No offence but you might want to get changed," she laughed and I stared at my oversized jumper and short shorts. "Uhh yeah, give me a minute," I laughed and ran up the stairs and to my room. I change into a cropped white shirt with a denim jacket, and my usual black ripped skinny jeans

I did a little bit of make up, just to look nice, then headed back downstairs to see Kat waiting at the door for me. "Sams letting me take his car, let's go," She said as we walked out the door. "So how's it going?" She asked me as we went down the streets towards the mall. "Uhh, I woke up and felt half dead with a hang over, then did nothing all day, how about you?" I laughed and so did she, "I didn't drink much last night so I'm alright," Kat replied. We listened to music and gossiped a bit, as two girls do, "Hey Kat? isn't the mall back there?" I ask as we take a left turn away from the mall and towards a park. She didn't reply but parked the car next to the park, with lots of trees and a kids playground. She didn't look at me as she got out the car, so I hesitantly got out as well and she locked the door behind me. Then Kat grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the park entrance.

"Kat? What're you doing?" I ask while looking around. "Keep walking down that path, you'll know what to do," She said then turned around and went back to her car. I did what she said whilst being very confused. I kept walking until I saw Sam, he was standing with his arms out flat and a note placed on them. "Hey Sam," I said happily but he didn't reply, he just kept staring at nothing. "Sam?" I say creeped out, but still nothing. I reach my hand out and take the note...

Hey Ri,

I guess you're a bit confused at the moment, all questions will be answered in the end. Now go to where kids would scream, and laughter would be heard.

- C

I knew exactly who it was, Colby was the only person who called me Ri, and the C was a bit of a give away. I smiled at the cuteness of what was happening and saw Sam looking at me quickly, but pretended not to be when I looked at him. I laughed and put the note in my pocket, "Well, I guess I'll see you later?" I ask confused while walking away towards the playground.