Chapter 22: The gyrfalcon asks for help

Ning Xiaoyao flipped over the wall to leave the Supreme Splendor Hall and stood outside sniffing the air. She couldn't catch whiff of the kitchens, so she gave the wall an unhappy kick. Because she'd used a little too much strength, the wall trembled twice before bits of sand and rock fell down from the top. Startled, Ning Xiaoyao stood there in a daze until she saw that the wall was still intact. Only then did she release a breath of relief. What could she do if they made her pay for a fallen wall? (Author: Can you be a little more conscious of your identity as an emperor? ╮(╯﹏╰)╭ )

Rubbing her stomach, Ning Xiaoyao decided to walk around. She could definitely find something to eat in an Imperial Palace as large as this.

At the same time, Grand Preceptor Xie was standing on a paved path near the Supreme Splendor Hall. Against the evening light, its eaves curved up towards the horizon, the glazed tiles of the roof ridges stretching out into the north sky. Though they were submerged in darkness, these sleeping quarters of the emperor and empress had existed through successive dynasties of Ning surname sovereigns. No matter who was its master, it would always stand tall and lofty, momentous and imposing.

"Grand Preceptor," a head eunuch hastily ran to his side before bowing and speaking in a low voice. "This servant greets Grand Preceptor."

"How is Lou Zigui doing?" Grand Preceptor Xie asked.

The head eunuch shook his head. "His Majesty settled him in the main sleeping quarters. This servant isn't clear about any specifics."

"Those men from the Black Frost Cavalry were left in the palace by His Majesty, too?" Grand Preceptor Xie asked again.

"Yes," the head eunuch said. "Those generals didn't allow this servant to approach the sleeping quarters. This servant couldn't see His Majesty, nor find out whether this was truly His Majesty's decree. Oh, Grand Preceptor, those generals brought an imperial physician to the rooms. This servant heard that the physician examined Lou Zigui's injuries."

Grand Preceptor Xie was certain that Lou Zigui would die within three days, so he didn't care whether or not he had a physician. Instead he said, "If they want medicine, just give it to them. Give them anything they want, don't enrage His Majesty."

The head eunuch hurried to bow. "Yes, this servant understands."

"At the assembly three days later, that is, His Majesty's first time in court," Grand Preceptor Xie said, "I'll go meet His Majesty up front. You'll all need to make preparations."

"Yes," said the head eunuch.

Grand Preceptor Xie smiled coldly as he looked at the tall Supreme Splendor Hall. Admittedly, he'd been wrong about Ning Yu, but she was too naive if she wanted to rely on Lou Zigui to free herself. Three days later, when Lou Zigui died from poison, he'd like to see Ning Yu's expression when she sat in the Hall of Golden Chimes[1. Hall of Golden Chimes (金銮殿) - jinluandian, a popular name for the emperor's audience hall in the imperial palace.] after her wasted efforts. How would she face all the officials and the other imperial sons who missed their chance at the throne?

The head eunuch saw Grand Preceptor Xie off as he swaggered away. Meanwhile, Ning Xiaoyao was standing behind a stone seat on the paved road, digging her fingers into her palms. She had to go to an assembly in three days? She was screwed again. What was an assembly? She didn't understand a thing!

--

After Grand Preceptor Xie left, the head eunuch straightened up and beckoned towards the direction of the Supreme Splendor Hall. A few nearby eunuchs hastened to his side.

"Don't bother with the Supreme Splendor Hall anymore, tell everyone to withdraw," the head eunuch told the rest. "Whatever those military men want, give them. Prepare well for His Majesty's assembly in three days' time."