Chapter 83: His Majesty says, tear down the wall

While Supreme Commander Lou was galloping to Prince Zhi's estate, Grand Preceptor Xie had left his own estate in his sedan chair. A guard had personally let down the door curtains before ordering the four sedan bearers, "Lift."

The sedan bearers carried their load past the Xie Clan archway at the end of the street and headed for Prince Zhi's estate.

Grand Preceptor Xie was sitting in the sedan chair. Since Prince Zhi refused to come to him, he'd visit the prince himself. As Prince Fu was still confined to the Hall of Punishments, he had to find a way to win over Prince Zhi, no matter what. The imperial clansmen weren't as unyielding as steel, so he was 80 percent certain that he'd be able to win over Prince Zhi if he highlighted the advantages of their alliance.

By the time Prince Zhi reached his side courtyard, he didn't enter the inner rooms, but waited in the receiving hall instead. Soon enough, Prince Xi, Ning Guangzong, arrived with the rest of the clansmen.

"We'll speak in the study," Prince Zhi didn't waste words as he followed along his wall and took a shortcut to bring the dozen or so imperial clansmen to the study of the inner courtyard.

"Are we discussing Prince Fu again?" Prince Xi asked as he followed behind Prince Zhi.

Prince Zhi waved a dismissive hand. "His case is as plain as black words on white paper. There was even an Imperial Jade Seal to seal the deal. It's useless to speak of him."

"How could he have exchanged his 10,000 plots of fertile farmland for a single set of brushes?" Some of the imperial clansmen still didn't understand Prince Fu's reasoning.

None of the other clansmen replied. Prince Fu was not only one of their speakers, but their former leader. How could their leader possibly be an idiot? No one understood why he gave up his land for some brushes. Only a few even believed that he truly did it out of his own free will.

Perhaps he came to some sort of agreement with Ning Yu?

Perhaps Ning Yu gave Prince Fu some advantages in secret?

... ...

The clansmen exchanged glances, all of them wearing dignified expressions. Each of them had their own guesses about the matter, but none of them dared to voice it out loud and claim theirs was right.

"As long as His Majesty doesn't bring up dismissing the vassal lords, we'll be alright," Prince Zhi said. "The only fear is whether His Majesty's found an opening with Prince Fu. One ant hole may cause the collapse of a thousand- dyke. You should all understand the logic."

How could they not?

"The Grand Preceptor chose to dry out his brushes just as His Majesty came calling," Prince Zhi added, "And how did His Majesty even know when Prince Fu arrived at the Grand Preceptor's estate?"

At his words, the imperial clansmen's faces all turned green and ghastly. In other words, the Grand Preceptor's on the same team as His Majesty. They put on a show for us by pretending to be enemies, all the better to dismiss the vassal lords?

"This is a very important matter," Prince Qi, Ning Guangbei, murmured in a low voice. "We need to verify it first. Xie Wenyuan isn't someone who is easy to deal with. If possible, I think we should avoid making an enemy out of him."

Once again, all the clansmen fell into a brown study. Who wanted to make enemies out of a powerful minister like Xie Wenyuan? But if he really wanted to dismiss them, how were they supposed to oppose him?

--

"Supreme Commander," on the streets near Prince Zhi's courtyard, a Dragon Guard who had set off in advance rode his horse to Lou Zigui's side. Quietly he murmured, "This one saw many imperial clansmen's carriages parked by the side courtyard."