Chapter 69: A girl with a serpent's heart and a wolf's personality

Prince Fu sprawled unmoving on the ground, unable to even take deep breaths. Only them did the Dragon Guards cease their beatdown. Shadowthunder even asked Ning Xiaoyao, "Your Majesty, is hitting him like this enough?"

Ning Xiaoyao looked at Prince Fu. Forget about wisdom or divine might, these adjectives didn't fit him at all. He possessed a poor image to begin with, and all the beatings had changed his 220lb body into something that looked like a swollen, 270lb one. Still, Ning Xiaoyao couldn't help but pity Prince Fu. She didn't think Windy or Second Thunder had used much strength at all, but why was he all swollen up like this now? (Author: Enough, you....)

"You can't hit him anymore," Ning Xiaoyao told Shadowthunder. "Or else he'll die."

Lou Zigui's cold voice rang out beside her. "Even the death sentence isn't enough to make up for attempted assassination of Your Majesty."

"Don't, don't be like that," Ning Xiaoyao hastily waved a hand at Supreme Commander Lou. "Be more lenient, haha, more lenient."

Lou Zigui looked down at Ning Xiaoyao, who raised up Big Boss Black's paws and waved them at him. Quietly she said, "There's a question that I don't know whether or not I should ask."

"What is it?" Lou Zigui replied.

Ning Xiaoyao stood on her tiptoes and dropped her tone even lower. "I was the one who told Prince Fu to stab me. Does this still count as attempted assassination from Prince Fu?"

".........." said Supreme Commander Lou.

Ning Xiaoyao continued, "I feel that Prince Fu is innocent, but Windy and the rest already beat him up like that. I already owe him two years of official salary, but now I owe him medical expenses as well. Supreme Commander, I say we ought to retreat. Let's just pretend the stabbing attempt never happened, alright?"

"..........." said Supreme Commander Lou.

Ning Xiaoyao observed his silence and continued to explain. "When I wanted to tell them to stop, Windy and rest had already started beating him up."

Big Boss Black cried out, "He still wants medical expenses? Then you might as well stab that fatty, miaow!" Ning Xiaoyao muffled Big Boss Black's mouth. Did this black furball think that ten gashes didn't count enough to warrant medical expenses?!

Lou Zigui replied softly, "Why did you want him to kill you?"

Ning Xiaoyao shrugged her shoulders. "He wanted money from me, but I had nothing to give except my life. So I told him to clear my debts with a stab."

Supreme Commander Lou rubbed his forehead with his hand and sighed. He had no words to reply her.

"Are we withdrawing?" Ning Xiaoyao asked.

Lou Zigui pulled Ning Xiaoyao to a corner, where they stood together as he murmured, "You don't want to give these princes their salaries?"

Ning Xiaoyao quickly nodded her head. She'd never give away money if she had it, especially since she was currently a pauper. Lou Zigui bent down until his lips were by Ning Xiaoyao's ears, and whispered, "Then listen to me."

Ning Xiaoyao leaned back to stare at him. "You're going to come up with the money in my place? Aren't you even more of a pauper than me?"

Supreme Commander Lou momentarily choked before he clenched his teeth. "Prince Fu planned to assassinate you the entire time."

"Ah?"

"Listen to me first. We'll talk about the complicated details of right and wrong later." Lou Zigui said, pressing a hand on Ning Xiaoyao's shoulder. Ning Xiaoyao glanced back at the half-dead Prince Fu. She thought of the money she needed, the accounts that Supreme Commander Lou had calculated for her, and all the refugees in the capital that could only eat one meal a day. Then she decided to abandon her conscience and do as he wished.