Chapter 59: Because I like you, because I'm happy

Lou Zigui lowered his head and rested it against Ning Xiaoyao's face, before going on to explain his question in detail.

"If I like someone, I kiss them," Ning Xiaoyao had been born as a genetically evolved human being with loose moral standards. Her reply was powerful enough to leave an impression. People in the apocalypse greeted each other with kisses as a form of hello. They did goodbye kisses as well. Happy times were marked with celebratory kisses, while tragedies were consoled by comforting ones. What was the big deal?

"Like?" Lou Zigui asked again. He lived in a time and age where matchmakers paired up couples and the parents' word was law. Husband and wife didn't even meet each other before marriage, so having a girl say she liked him to his face was, while not universally shocking, still teetering on the border of his expectations. When Ning Xiaoyao saw Supreme Commander Lou's serious face, she couldn't help but to grow serious herself.

After some thought, she finally said, "Mm, because I like you and because I was happy." If she didn't like him, she wouldn't have been willing to grab him, much less set her lips on him. And if she hadn't been happy, she wouldn't have thought of kissing him in the first place.

Lou Zigui felt his heart grow restless. Though he'd asked his question and gotten the answer, he had no experience with females at all. Faced with such a situation, he still didn't know what to do, much less what he felt like. Happy? But he also felt alarmed and restless. Alarmed? What kind of thing made someone happy and alarmed at the same time? He had a clear conscience upon self-examination, because he was pleased with his current debt of gratitude combined with his duty for vengeance. All of the methods Supreme Commander Lou had used in the past few days to deal with different things were completely useless for the situation at hand.

Ning Xiaoyao cradled Lou Zigui's face. When Supreme Commander Lou felt clueless, he usually wore an expressionless face. His current expression was a strange one for Ning Xiaoyao and made her wonder. Did I make a mistake somewhere? Ning Xiaoyao asked herself. Was the kissing method all wrong, or was the timing off? Maybe this was wrong place for kisses? Or was this similar to Shadowgale and Little Peach Blossom from the imperial kitchens? Had Supreme Commander found his own true love somewhere in the palace as well? (Author: How many times have I told you? If you don't know what's going on, don't make wild guesses!)

Ning Xiaoyao's brain ran over the options of time, place, and person before she loosened her hands and shook her head in embarrassment. No matter how she looked at it, the person seemed most likely to blame. You could grab a handful of babes anywhere in the palace and find one that was pleasing. Such things were way too commonplace.

"Sorry about that," Ning Xiaoyao apologized to Lou Zigui. "I didn't know a thing."

Supreme Commander Lou's heart was still in turmoil, but now he was at a loss. He grabbed Ning Xiaoyao before she stood up and asked, "What don't you know?"

"It's good that you've found your true love," Ning Xiaoyao. "Congratulations, ah." She definitely wasn't going to be some third wheel in their relationship. People in the apocalypse could bed each other as they liked, but you weren't supposed to get involved with people who'd already found their true love. Anyone who destroyed true love deserved to be bitten by zombies!

"True love?" Lou Zigui didn't understand her words.

"Wh-which girl is it?" Ning Xiaoyao asked. Any female who could capture Lou Zigui so quickly had to be someone she should meet. She'd slept with him once, after all. The great and mighty Supreme Commander should give up on avenging himself for that fact, at most? (Author: If you want to be human, you need to have a conscience, hey!)