Chapter 36: His Majesty wants to slap the Grand Preceptor

"After your older brother became crown prince, very few people remembered that his name was Ning Yanhui," Lou Zigui said in a small voice.

Ning Xiaoyao didn't understand. "Why?"

"Because he was the future master of the imperial court," Lou Zigui said. "No one dared to use his name again. Even the late emperor only referred to him as 'crown prince.'"

Ning Xiaoyao pursed her lips. That tragic? After becoming the crown prince, he couldn't even use his own name anymore! (Author: Hey hey, did you get the wrong idea again?! O(╯□╰)o )

"He also said he wanted to give the refugees a home," Lou Zigui added.

Ning Xiaoyao gave a start. Someone with the same life goals as her couldn't be a bad guy, so she chewed her lip and hated the Xie father and daughter all the more. They were thoroughly wicked!

"Let's go back to the palace," Lou Zigui said softly.

"Mm," Ning Xiaoyao called over Erya and picked Xiaoqiu up in her arms before walking shoulder-to-shoulder with Lou Zigui back to the palace. The night wind blew past them to rustle the leaves on the treetops. Drops of dew dripped down from the branches, but Lou Zigui didn't turn back again. The streets, scenery, and tree hadn't changed, but that person was gone. He didn't have time to cherish the memory of a past gone by. Because he was still living, he had to keep moving forward. This way, he wouldn't fail in his duty to his old friend.

After this night, news of His Majesty's self-injury ruse to capture the Northern Hu spies in one swoop, as well as how Lou Zigui had never betrayed the country, spread through the court and the commonalty as soon as day broke. An excited Fang Tang ran in from outside the palace first thing that morning to speak to Lou Zigui on his bed.

"Supreme Commander, there's tons of people kneeling on the street before the imperial palace. They've all admitted their mistakes and are asking you for punishment."

Lou Zigui's expression was flat as he replied, "The ignorant are blameless."

Fang Tang immediately grew unhappy. "You're letting it go just like that?" He still remembered how those people had treated his Supreme Commander at the execution grounds!

"If I don't let things go," Lou Zigui said, "Could I just kill them for it instead?"

Fang Tang didn't say anymore, but watched as Lou Zigui sat up in bed. After a while, he asked, "Supreme Commander, aren't you even a little bit angry?"

Lou Zigui shook his head. He wasn't a saint, so how couldn't he be mad? But what was the use of getting angry? Could he run out of the palace and take a bite out of every person who had bitten and cursed him?

Fang Tang was a simple-hearted man. After feeling stifled for a while, he recovered his cheer and said, "Supreme Commander, His Majesty really did help you wash your name clean."

Only now did Lou Zigui crack a smile. His Majesty not only washed his reputation clean, but cleanly captured all the Northern Hu spies as well. She'd done a beautiful job.

"I'll go take a look at His Majesty," Fang Tang said as he happily ran for the door.

"Hold it," Lou Zigui's face turned serious. On a subconscious level, he didn't like Fang Tang getting so friendly with Ning Xiaoyao. "Go bring me something to eat," he said. "If there's nothing going on, don't bother His Majesty."

Fang Tang was a little dumbfounded. When had he ever bothered His Majesty?

Currently, Ning Xiaoyao was bustling about the great hall, packing up all of its valuable objects as she listened to Big Boss Black tell her about the masses kneeling outside to ask Supreme Commander to mete punishment. Big Boss Black was excited enough to chase his own tail in circles. Supreme Commander was a great hero again! Ning Xiaoyao didn't think there was anything to be happy about. Would Supreme Commander's cut and bitten flesh return to him just because these people knelt down? Of all the words to believe, they had chosen to trust that old man Xie's? (Author: Enough, you. If people didn't trust the government, who else can they trust?)