Chapter 30: Little sparrow delivers a golden tooth

The gathered crowd had no idea what a wretched plight ruse was, but they could figure it out after thinking it through. It sounded more or less like a self-injury ruse[1. self-injury ruse (苦肉计) - kurouji, a strategy where one inflicts injury to oneself to win the confidence of the enemy.].

"Besides," Ning Xiaoyao felt her idea was reasonable the more she talked. "What does this have to do with the Grand Preceptor? We're doing it as a show for the populace, aren't we?"

That's true, thought the gathered men. What does this have to do with the Grand Preceptor? When everyone believed them instead, who cares what the Grand Preceptor rambled about?

"If the Grand Preceptor accuses Supreme Commander of betraying his country then," Ning Xiaoyao said, "We'll box his ears!"

"... ..." replied everyone. It seemed like His Majesty had a big grudge against the Grand Preceptor.

"Are we going to do it this way?" Ning Xiaoyao asked her companions.

"Do it!" Fang Tang was the first to yell. Everyone else looked at Song Jin. How about you come up with an idea?

Song Jin said, "Your Majesty, what should your subjects do?"

"I'll take Supreme Commander out to stroll around the streets," Ning Xiaoyao already had her plan in place. "Meanwhile, Windy takes his fellow comrades--eh, Lil' Big Bro Fang, you guys go too--in different clothing. We'll sit around and wait for the northern barbarians to charge us and kill Supreme Commander."

"It's that simple?" Fang Tang asked.

"Then how else do you want it to go, Lil' Big Bro Fang?" Ning Xiaoyao replied.

"Go to the Fragrant Storey on West Street," Song Jin spoke up. "Your Majesty can bring Supreme Commanderthere, it was where the late emperor often went to mingle with the people incognito. Northern Hu won't be too suspicious if Your Majesty goes. They'll just assume Your Majesty is taking Supreme Commander to drive away his cares."

"Done," Ning Xiaoyao clapped her hands. "Then I'll take Supreme Commander to the Fragrant Storey."

At this, Shadowgale raised a question. "Your Majesty, what if Supreme Commander doesn't want to go? What do we do then?" Supreme Commander Lou didn't look like someone who was good-tempered, much less easy to convince. But Ning Xiaoyao didn't worry and just waved a hand.

"It's fine. Worse comes to worst, I'll carry him over."

Fang Tang and the rest all wore odd expressions on their faces. Carry him again?

"Then let's split up and prepare," Ning Xiaoyao stood up and gulped the contents of her teacup. She wiped her lips and said, "Meeting dismissed, we'll leave the palace on time tomorrow night."

"Why nighttime?" a guard asked Ning Xiaoyao.

"Because Windy and the rest are still injured. It's no good for them to get up early," Ning Xiaoyao explained.

Shadowgale and the rest suddenly felt touched again.

"Besides, who's going to murder someone in broad daylight?" Ning Xiaoyao said. It's not like they were going to kill zombies.

"... ..." said everyone else. Why does it seem like His Majesty's an expert in such matters?

--

In the corridors outside the main audience hall, two mama [2. mama (嬷嬷) - a form of address for an elderly female servant, also a wet nurse.] were kneeling to wait for Ning Xiaoyao. When they saw her walk over with her hands behind her back, one mama hastily spoke up. "Your Majesty, this servant brought Mute Granny over to help you bathe."