Chapter 81: Whose brush is this?

"How should I know?" Ning Xiaoyao was all innocence despite the fact that she'd taken all of Prince Fu's land.

If you don't know, who would? Prince Fu and the other clansmen all thought as they stared at Ning Xiaoyao.

A flash of insight flickered in Ning Xiaoyao's head before she crouched down before Prince Fu and said, "Hold it. What you're saying is that you don't want to live on your land anymore?"

Prince Fu couldn't turn the gears in his head fast enough to keep up with Ning Xiaoyao, so he simply shouted, "You're already splitting up the land, so how is it still mine to live on?"

Ning Xiaoyao replied, "So in other words, you don't want your prince's estate, either?"

Prince Fu was stunned speechless again. Everyone else turned to stare at Ning Xiaoyao. You want to steal Prince Fu's house right after stealing his land?

Ning Xiaoyao craned her neck to look at Elder Li. "Old gramps, how big is Prince Fu's estate?"

Before Elder Li could answer, Prince Fu lost his temper. "That's my estate, my home!" he howled. "Even if this prince dies, it'll be at this prince's estate!"

Once again, Ning Xiaoyao wiped Prince Fu's spittle off her face.

"Impudence!" Supreme Commander Lou and Elder Li berated him at the same time.

"Imperial brother!" Prince Zhi stomped his foot as well, his voice filled with distress. You might have lost your land, but you can't just toss away your life like that! What kind of crime is it to blatantly disrespect to the emperor? Aren't you just delivering yourself to death's door for Ning Yu?

Slowly, Prince Fu's body grew limp as he sank to the ground. Ning Xiaoyao stood up and turned to speak to Supreme Commander Lou, but she met eyes with Grand Preceptor Xie instead. She gave a sudden start. Did I forget something?

Grand Preceptor Xie took this chance to speak. "Your Majesty, this subject's set of 24 brushes with painted scenes from Jiangnan..."

Ning Xiaoyao didn't hear the rest as she recalled that the Grand Preceptor was the original owner of the brushes. "Those brushes belong to Prince Fu now," Ning Xiaoyao said as she pointed at Prince Fu. "Grand Preceptor, why don't you talk it over with him?"

Grand Preceptor Xie looked at Prince Fu. "Prince, those brushes belong to this official."

Since the brushes belonged to the Grand Preceptor, as long as Prince Fu returned them, his first condition with Ning Xiaoyao would be null and void. Everyone who heard Grand Preceptor Xie's words understood the meaning behind his message. They stared at Prince Fu, with the imperial clansmen looking especially enthusiastic. This is the perfect chance for him to recover his lands!

Prince Fu touched the set of brushes hidden in his sleeve. The jade handles had been warmed by close proximity to his body. Return these brushes?

Lou Zigui was about to step forward, but Ning Xiaoyao reached out a hand and held him in place, shaking her head. She even grinned at him to show that he shouldn't worry. Lou Zigui was a little uncertain. If Prince Fu returned the brushes, wouldn't our hard work all be for nothing?

Prince Fu suddenly spoke up to Grand Preceptor Xie. "These brushes belong to this prince!"

Boom--

Everyone felt like their heads had exploded inside. Has Prince Fu lost his wits? He's giving up 10,000 plots of fertile farmland for a single set of brushes?!

Ning Xiaoyao could only gloat as she caught sight of Grand Preceptor Xie's dumbfounded expression. Then she stuck up her thumb at Prince Fu and declared, "That's right! You have to protect your own things well! Prince, you're a real man!"