The Other World

Nina

"Kabir! Kabir!" I shouted. "You have no right to say such filthy shits to me. I am not your plaything or a punching bag. I am your girlfriend." At least I used to think so.

"If you can't respect me. Then I believe it will be better for both you and me to go on separate ways. This relationship has rotted. I was wrong. I thought you as my family, after Baba's death I really started to lead a normal life because of you. But this Kabir is not whom I have loved.It's over. I'm leaving." 

Without waiting for any response I started to reach for the door. Because from the last month's experience I know that if I stayed here for any long probably my drunk 'ex' will start to abuse me physically. 

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" A muscular hand blocked my way, grabbing my shoulder with all of its might. "You bitch! You are going to stay here. Right here. You are such attention seeker slut. First took my all attention to heal your own wounds and now complaining. You know wh...hat girls like you would often end up on the streets! Be thankful that you ha...ve me. Without me, you are nothing! You will crumble in your own guilt very soon. Be grateful to have me. Unfaithful bitch." His grip tightened on my shoulder. Hurting it. Alcohol's smell was intoxicating the small apartment. 

"Kabir! Let me go. We will talk about this tomorrow." I pleaded to him. This is getting out of my hands!

"Let you go?! " Kabir slurred. He started to force himself on me. Holding my shoulder with one hand and another shifted to his own jeans to unbutton it. 

"You stupid bitch,you killed your father. How is the guilt doing? Huh?"

"Don't you dare to speak a word about this matter Kabir. What do you think you are? Get your filthy hands off of my body! " Pushing him with all of my force I unlocked the apartment's door. 

"Go wherever you want to go! At the end of the day, you will be back here. Begging me to comfort your insecurities. " I heard him swearing those words toward me while I hurriedly got out from his flat. I noticed an elderly couple from the neighbouring apartment eyeing me suspiciously. 

Well he was not wrong entirely. From the outside, even how much I try to show myself as an independent, calm and composed, more or less self sufficient woman, at the end of the day, I always desired someone to hold my hands. To kiss the numerous scars I had inside my heart. And Kabir was that sanity for me. He used to keep me steady. He used to be such a supportive,empathetic person, even a couple of months ago. And now, well he is someone else. May be that is what happens when you gave someone too much control over your life. If Baba had been alive, this day would never come. I wouldn't have to rush to my drunk boyfriend's house in the middle of the night to hear his abuses and humiliations. Wow!What a life.

*Ting*

My phone beeps.

I took it out of my pocket to see the message from Ravi , my boss, while walking toward my scooty which was parked near the children's playground. I was hurrying because it was past midnight and this section of the city became a dessert at night.

"Tomorrow at sharp 8. Don't forget that you have to take the interview of Saranya Roy Chowdhury in her mansion. Don't be late. You know her, how hard we had to work to convince her for this interview."

Oh yes. I have such a grand work to do tomorrow. I have to take the interview of the famous singer, who literally rose to fame some seven to eight years ago (when we were in highschool and college and we were mad for her), then after three years she disappeared for a solid four years. And now she has suddenly made her comeback to the industry and ruling it like a queen. But it is very hard to get her. She is more or less untraceable apart from her song or album launches. Ravi had worked really hard to convince her for an interview. And being a fangirl of Saranya, I am supposed to take it early tomorrow.