The Queen's Mate

Nina

"Have you ever driven a four-wheeler?" Examining the piece of wood still stuck deep into her chest, Saranya asked me. She had been poking the piece of wood for the last five minutes. "Should I try to take it out or not?" She muttered to herself.

"I have not," glancing at the man sitting still under a tree, I answered. "But if you instruct me, I can take us home." After getting caught, Saranya had interrogated the man with a stake inside her chest. No matter how terrified the man was, he denied revealing his name. According to him, he and all others in his profession had been nameless for ages.

A name could be too dangerous for our life, he had proudly announced to Saranya. In response to his boldness, being infuriated and irritated, Saranya had slapped him across his face, resulting in a bleeding lower lip and two broken teeth. She dragged him to a tree and ordered him to sit down. The man was already terrified of her and struggling to find a way out. In fear he obeyed Saranya. She asked him, his name again and when the man remained silent, Saranya did something strange with his mind. He stopped struggling and became quiet suddenly. Only streams of tears were flowing through his eyes. He had stopped moving completely. He was looking like a living corpse.

Afterwards, Saranya stopped paying attention to him and had been toying with the wooden stake constantly while mumbling gibberish to herself. "No, it will be too dangerous. You don't have to drive. From tomorrow evening, I will teach you driving." She said it so casually, it was hard to believe that minutes ago she was stabbed in the heart by a human hitman.

"Are you sure he is not going to jump up and run away all of a sudden?" I moved closer to Saranya and whispered to her. "And if not me, who is going to take us home?"

"He was not cooperating so I shut his mind off for some time," Saranya informed me nonchalantly. Her attention was entirely on the wooden stake. She was warming up to pull the wood out. " I am perfectly fine now. I can drive...Fuck!"

I jumped up as Saranya groaned in agony. Whipping my eyes from her face to her chest, I noticed a broken, semi pulled out piece of wood still jabbed inside her chest. Inside Saranya's fist was the other half of the broken piece. "Fuck!" She screamed again, closing her eyes in pain. "This thing is poisoned and made of softwood. My chest..."

The wound was bleeding once again. Saranya was attempting to pull out the rest of the part when I held her arm and stopped her. "Don't, please. If any small pieces of wood stay there and the wound starts to heal around them, it will be a big problem." Saranya paused listening to me. Her colour of her pupils had turned black and fangs were getting visible from the parted lips. She tried her best to hide it but I could sense the excruciating pain she was feeling.

"You are not driving." I took out my phone and dialled Rizwan's number. "Right now, you will drink my blood and rest until Rizwan arrives."

"What?" Saranya was not happy with my proposal. "This is nothing. I can..."

But she stopped when I raised my voice. "No." I glared at her when Rizwan picked up the call. "Rizwan, could you come and get us as soon as possible?" I asked him.

He was wise enough to know something was wrong. Without asking another question he asked me to send our location to his phone. "Bring two other vampires with you, " saying I cut the call. That moment, in my mind I was regretting my plan of bringing no guards with us.

Sliding the cellphone back in my denim's pocket I held Saranya by the wrist ."I know you are strong. But right now you are in pain and I can't let you drive in this condition. Drink from me. You will feel better."

Saranya said nothing. With her dark soulless orbs, she continued staring at me. "Please, " I whispered, cupping her cheek with my hand.

Saranya nodded and led me behind another large tree. "Are you sure he is not going to do anything?" I asked Saranya while we passed the man. He was nonetheless sitting motionless in the same place.