Chapter 33

Brian

We stare out, over the green grass. The building has trees, upon trees behind it, creating a huge contrast between the building, and the surrounding area. Roger, and I hadn't really payed attention to the weather before we left. We were a bit eager to get out, and explore. The sky was covered with clouds now, a bit dark with the smell of rain. I hope that it clears up. The Sacré-Coeur Basilica stands in front of us in all it's glory. The structure tall, reaching for the sky. Three domes stand atop of it's towers. There are little arcs, and indents in the building. There are some spots for tiny windows. "Do you think we can get closer?" I ask. "I don't know, actually. We can try." he suggests, reaching for my hand. Hand in hand, we walk over to the long walkway of stairs. The wind picks up a bit, my hair sways with it. Roger's hair blows back in the wind. His hair a golden blonde, gracefully flowing in the air. It causes me to blush a bit, but puts a smile on my face. 

About seven minutes later, we reach the top of the stairs. Above us is a bridge that leads to the courtyard of the building. We make our way under the bridge, as something lies on the ground. I let go of Roger's hand, and go over to it. I bend down, and pick it up in my hand. It's a coin. I rub it between my thumb, and index finder. It's rough, yet smooth. The edges are ridged as my finger glide around in. "What is it?" Roger asks. "It's a coin," I say. It has a print of the Eiffel tower on the front. I turn the coin around, reveling a huge fifty on half of it. The other half is a map of some sort, showing a route. "Keep it," he says. "What? what if someone dropped it?  It must belong to them," I say. I don't like to take things from people, especially coins, or money. "Surely they don't need it if they hadn't picked it up. You can keep it for memories," he says. I tilt my head, observing the coin a bit more. "I guess you're right," I say giving in. I take the coin, and stick it in my pocket. I turn to Roger, and walk back to grab his hand. He has a tiny smile on his face. We continue under the bridge. 

I step from under the bridge, stepping into a new, different setting. It's like I'm opened to a whole, different place. I look up at the building. It seems way taller, and slightly more elegant. A few drops of rain fall from above. "Let's hope the rain holds back a bit. I'd hate to cut our exploring short," Roger says. My gaze doesn't leave the building. The rain starts to come down a bit harder, and I look at Roger. "I think we may have to," I say, a bit sad. Roger looks at me, then grabs my hand. We walk back under the tunnel, but the rain starts pouring. We both stare out at the rain. "Do we wait for it to let up?" Roger asks. "Let's wait for a minute," I say.

The rain doesn't let up. In fact, it gets worse. I stare back at Roger, considering what to do. "Do we just run for it?" Roger says. At first, I want to say no. I don't want to be stuck down here for long either.. I nod my head, and let go of Roger's hand. "Okay, we can run for it." I say. Roger takes a deep breath in. "Ready?" he asks. 

We both run from the bridge. The water falls hard on us, make me shiver at first. We run down the stairs, as Roger runs slightly in front of me. "Slow down a bit!" I yell. The rain is so hard that I have to yell over it. "What?" he yells. I feel my hair getting heavier by the minute, as the water soaks my hair. We reach the bottom of the step, and Roger waits for me. "Where do we go from here?" I yell, struggling to catch my breath. Roger looks around, breathing heavily. He points, and yanks my hand. We are both running, as he leads. The rain gets even heavier, and the breeze cold. Roger stops in front of the street, and waves his hand. "Taxi!" he yells. A car pulls over, running over a puddle that splashes us. Roger opens the car door, and climbs in. I follow shortly after, a quickly close the door. The rain bangs on the roof of the car. Roger and I both breathing heavily. I struggle to catch my breath. He tells the driver where we need to go, under his breath. 

We sit in silence for what seems like minutes, just breathing. "That was actually pretty fun.." I say, breaking the silence. Roger nods. "I didn't think I'd have to run through the rain today," he laughs, causing me to laugh a bit. Roger looks at me, and laughs a bit more. "You- you look like a wet poodle," he laughs. I blush a bit, but laugh. "I'll take that as a compliment," I giggle. I take Roger's hand, and squeeze it tight. I peck his cheek, and sit back. Roger and I both sit in silence, waiting to be back at the hotel. Moments like these are ones I love to have...