Chapter 37

Brian

We get back home at about 8:30. I open the door, and instantly drop our luggage on the ground. I slip my shoes off, and throw myself onto our couch. "It feels so good to be home," I mumble, face into a pillow. I hear Roger walk around the couch, and sit next to me. I sit up, and move closer to Roger. I place my arm around him, and pull him a bit closer to me. He places his head on my shoulder, and we sit in silence. The only sound is the sound of our breathing. 

Later, we finally decide to get up and organize ourselves. Roger decides to go out, and pick up something small, and easy for dinner. I take our luggage, and decide to unpack them, and put everything away. Just so we wont have to do it some other time. I put some clothes away in the closet, and put some in the laundry to be washed. Once I get everything put away where it should be, I decide to grab my guitar. I pick up my guitar, and walk over to the window. The cold December air blows through the window, causing a bit of snow to blow in. I sit on the sill, and place the guitar in my lap. I feel the strings, getting my fingers familiar with the feeling once more. I slowly play a tune, a familiar one. One that I've had in mind for a while, but never could continue. I never found the inspiration, or the right words to continue it. I play it again, strumming a new chord. I take a look outside. The street lights make the snow sparkle. I look back at my guitar, and take a deep breath. "I was a legend-" I stop. I strum my guitar again, the same tune. "I was blowin-" I look down at my guitar. I stand up, and walk over to my table near the couch. I pick up the pen, and note pad that sit on it. I open up to my planning page, and scribble down a few things. This song has been in the works for months. Occasionally here and there i'd write a few things down. I just haven't been having any inspiration. I hear the door creak open, but I keep writing. I hear it close, and the sound of keys. "What are you working on?" a voice asks. I look up from the notebook, and see Roger holding a bag. He's covered in snow, and is trying to take off his coat. "Just a little something," I say putting the notebook down. Roger grabs the bag again, and places it on the table in front of me. "A lot of places were closed, so I just grabbed us a few slices of pizza. I hope that's okay?" he asks. I laugh a bit. "You don't need to ask me if the food is okay." I say laughing. 

Roger and I spend the rest on the night on the couch, watching TV. We spend the night watch a movie that's on, without knowing what it is. Not long after that, there is a ring on the phone. "I got it," I say. I reach for the phone, and clear my throat. "Hello?" I ask, placing my hand on Roger's knee. "Brian hun," a voice says. "Mum?" I ask. I hear her hum. "What are you doing right now?" she asks. I stand up, and walk over to the window. "Why? What's wrong?" I ask, slightly alarmed. I feel Roger put his hand on my shoulder, and I turn to look at him. Everything alright?" he whispers. I shrug, not knowing. "Brian hun, go someplace private for a minute." she tells me.

I got a call I never thought I'd have to listen to. My cat, my best friend through times that were tough, died. My Mum waited to tell me for a bit. She said she wanted to tell me when she thought the time was right. "Will you be Okay, Brian?" she asks. I hear the concern in her voice. "I will Mum, don't worry." I say, as happy as possible. I hear her sigh. "I promise Mum." I say.

I don't keep her on the phone for much longer. I let her go, and stay in the bathroom. I put the phone down on the sink, and look at myself in mirror. I push my hair down, and look down. My hands are shaking a bit. I feel a tear stream down my cheek, a warm one. I don't cry, I just sit there. Should I cry? Is it bad that I'm not crying? I sit in the bathroom, for about ten minutes, and just think. 

I hear a tiny knock on the door. I jump, not expecting it. "Brian?" a small voice asks. "It's open." I say. I press my hands against the sink, applying a bit of pressure. He creaks the door open, and sticks his head through, hair swaying back and forth. "Is everything alright?" he asks. Now he's fully in the room, and closing the door behind him. "Yeah..." I take a deep breath in. Roger steps closer to me, and places one of his hands on my hip. "Brian?"  he asks.

I tell him about what my Mom told me. My cat held a special place in my heart. She was there for me when nobody was. She was someone to talk to when I had no one. She was my partner in crime. Now she's gone, just like that... My cat used to be my best friend.

"Brian... I had no idea she was that special to you," Roger says, pulling me close. "I didn't either, if I am being honest." I admit...

Authors note:

I have a question for you guys. So, this story is soon going to be coming to an end :( and I am so sad about it. Would you guys like a sequel? I am down to make one if you guys want it. Let me know in the comments! Love y'all. Plus my finals are almost done, so I will be back uploading regularly.