Chapter 2: The Outers

Zephora wasn't sure how long it took to partly drag and partly cary the redheaded Neck-biter to safety. Sweaty and exhausted, she finally made it to the house she shared with a few friends.

Zephora and her friends lived in a place called The Outers just outside what used to be the Midwest. The Outers was where some humans lived that was not within a protected human community but didn't fall under any land or territories of supernats. While there weren't any laws or a governing body to protect those that dared live there, there were certain freedoms and perks that made the dangers of living in such a place favorable for some.

Nearly 25 years had passed, since the Others became more than scary bed time stories, or something you dressed up like on Halloween. Previous to this, they had tried to blend into human society. They had whole communities and supernatural lives they lead without humans ever knowing. At some point, Others decided they didn't want to live in the shadows anymore and that humans would have to learn to live with their existence. Because of their super natural strengths and magical abilities, humans really had no option but to try and accommodate and become used to living among the Others. Most humans however, became more and more closed off forming their own walled communities. Even if they had been forced to deal with the reality of the supernatural , it didn't mean that they wanted anything to do with them, at least collectively.

There were of course those that wanted diplomacy and tried to create peaceful relations between Others and humans. There were many flaws to this. For instance, humans were the primary food source for vampires and were physically not as strong as them. The reality was, humans were pretty much at the mercy of the Others, specifically vampires.

Others tended to intermingle more so with each other, depending on what species. For example; Moon-howlers and vampires weather Killing-camp or Neck-biter, rarely got along and most problems among the Others usually stemmed from the two groups.

One might wonder why Zephora would choose to live in a place where death could be around any corner and were the only people who have your back, are the ones you're lucky enough to call friends? Well, some folks like Zephora don't fall in a category. Some folks are outcasts and don't play by the rules.

She had learned a long time ago, that things were not always as they seemed. Human nature never really changed. Most humans treated the Others like a plague, and if even humans didn't fall into a certain category that the general population deemed acceptable, you were shunned and treated as a threat.

Zephora stood in front of the rickety steps that lead to her front door. From the outside their home appeared to be a dilapidated hovel that even trolls wouldn't want to live in. On the inside however, you would find a quaint two story farm house. One of her roommates was a Spell-caster and she was able to disguise the farm house this way. It was a helpful deterrent from squatters and criminals. The frightening stone gargoyle perched on the roof helped as well.

Zephora carefully slumped a still mostly unconscious Neck-biter, down beside her. She knew her roommates would have mixed about what she dragged home, but she had already come this far, she couldn't really change her mind.

Just then, the front door swung open with such force, the front porch shook.

"Where is it! Where is the filthy blood sucker? I can smell it." Shouted Zephora's friend Hudson. He was a brawny fellow with shaggy brown hair that would not be tamed. Oh, and he just happened to be a Moon-howler and Zephora's greatest concern about bringing the Neck- biter home. Hudson looked at Zephora then down at the girl beside her and glared.

"What is going on Zoe? Why is there a filthy vampire on our porch?" Hudson bellowed. His normally hazel eyes began to glow a gold color and an angry growl escaped his lips.

Zephora was definitely having second thoughts. She wasn't even sure what to do about the Neck-biter, how was she to explain to the others why she had dragged the nearly dead female all the way back to their place.

"It's a long story Hudson. Please calm down, she can't hurt anyone in her current state."

Zephora tried to reason with Hudson but could tell he wasn't listening to a thing she was saying. The last thing she needed was for him change into his wolf form. Then, no one would be safe.