Chapter 11: Don't You Just Love Magic?

AN: For me, it seems the first paragraph of new chapter is the hardest to write sometimes. That first paragraph sets the whole tone for the rest of the chapter. This one was no exception. I know the content of what I want to write but where to start has been the difficulty. With that said, this was one was really fun to write. :)

Zephora found herself flung across the room. She was stunned for a moment, feeling a pain in her shoulder where she hit the ground. Thanks to her quick reflexes she was able to roll out of the way right before a very upset redheaded neck biter nearly pounced on her.

Up until that moment, the neck biter had seemed exactly as she had been; unmoving and despondent. At the moment they were both facing each other from crouched positions. Both ready to attack if needed. Zephora couldn't help but notice the crazed look in the neck biter's eyes with her fangs bared. Even though it was a frightening image to see, Zephora quickly realized her reaction was no different from that of a wounded animal.

"Please! We don't want to hurt you!" Zephora implored, holding out her hand in a friendly gesture.

Unfortunately, the girl didn't seem to believe her, and she charged again. This time Zephora was better prepared and barely dodged her. The neck biter hissed, then she was coming after her again. Zephora didn't try to dodge her this time. She knew she would need to restrain the crazed neck biter somehow. They tumbled along the floor in a heap of arms and legs. Zephora tried to keep her neck protected from the girls fangs. Luckily, even though Zephora was human, the neck biter had not regained all of her strength. The fight continued for a few minutes. At one point they crashed into a shelf full of books other odds and ends, sending the contents crashing to the ground and all around them.

Pixie and Hudson heard the commotion from upstairs. A few moments later, they appeared just as Zephora had manged to pin the neck biter down face first on the cold cement floor with her arms behind her back. The neck biter did not give up though, and kept up her struggle to free herself. With surprising strength she threw Zephora off of her.

With a howl and cracking of bones as he shifted, Hudson took on his wolf form. He was a large golden brown wolf. In a flash he was across the room and pounced on the neck biter. His massive jaw closed around her throat ready to rip out her jugular.

"No!" Zephora shouted at Hudson.
"Don't kill her. She just scared."

Even though Hudson seemed to not listen, she did notice his jaw loosen it's grip on her neck. Zephora bent down so she was at eye level with the girl. "I don't know what you've been through, but we don't want to hurt you. If you promise not to try and attack us, I'll make him let go of your neck." Zephora tried to reason with the her.

Even as Zephora spoke, she could see that all the fight had gone out of the neck biter. She was limp on the floor. Her fangs had receded and her eyes that had glowed red a moment ago changed to a light shade of green.

"Let her go Hudson!" Pixie said in a commanding voice, as she rushed up to them in the aftermath. After a moment he finally let go and backed off. He stayed in his wolf form but laid down on the floor with his massive head between his paws. His tail whipped wildly back and forth with alertness.

A little blood dripped from the neck biters neck from where Hudson's teeth had just pierced the skin. It only took a moment and the wound started to heal and then closed up completely.

"That's a good sign." Pixie said in a calming manner. "You're wounds heal on their own again, this means you are getting better."

By now the neck biter was sitting up and just starring at the rest of them. Not sure what she should do, Zephora cautiously sat down in front of the girl a few feet away.