Chapter 26: The Secret Lair Of Robert Flanagan

"How did you even know how to find this place? Never mind, this is you  we're talking about." Hudson badgered Pixie as they made their way down long neglected stone steps in the dark. They had discovered the secret location in a garden behind the inn. After searching along a rock wall, they managed to locate the hidden entrance. Luckily, Pixie already had a pretty good idea of what she was looking for, or it would have been nearly impossible.

Pixie turned to look at Hudson, the lantern gripped in her hand illuminated her face. "It's a long story, but my research on dragons led me to learn about this place.  You see Robert Flanagan, the original owner of this inn was also a scholar. His main interest was in dragons and their myths. He also studied magic along with herbology, taxidermy, that sort of thing. That was back in the mid 19th century. The family passed down ownership of the inn from generation to generation, up until the present."

"I remember staying at the inn a few time with my parents, though I wasn't aware of the history. I seem to remember an older couple running the place." Hudson commented just as they descended the last step. 

Pixie held up the lantern, which gave a dim view of the room in front of them. Pixie held her breath. She couldn't believe she was actually here. She wondered if anyone had set foot in Robert Flanagan's lair since he had. Pixie could see one wall was lined with book shelves. As she held the lantern higher to give better lighting she noticed volumes of books covered in dust and cobwebs. Behind her Hudson sneezed. She continued to wander around the room. There was a large rectangular at the center of the room, stacked with more books, a scale and various old glass jars and vials. Some were empty others were full; the contents Pixie could only guess at. 

If Pixie was going to find what she was looking for, she was going to need better light. Setting the lantern on the table she whispered a spell and the lantern began to glow brighter until the room was completely visible. Pixie stood in awe. Along with a vast library of books there was another shelf full herbs and a wide variety of smaller animals that had been taxidermied. One shelf had several species of arachnids.

"You know...some might find this place creepy, but for some reason I have a feeling you feel right at home." Hudson observed, while getting a closer look at the stuffed animals on display. Pixie might have been offended but the way Hudson said it didn't sound like an insult. More like he was staying a fact. "At least this Flanagan person didn't appear to have an interest in wolves, or I'd be out of here."

Pixie had only been half listening to Hudson ramble on. "Don't be so squeamish Huddy and make yourself useful."

"What exactly are we looking for anyway?" Hudson asked, turning away from the shelf.

"Anything about dragons, dragon crystals, their whereabouts... anything like that." Pixie explained patiently while searching though a stack of papers.

"What about that paper you stole from that book?" Hudson asked.

"Borrowed. I borrowed without asking." Pixie clarified.

"If that makes you feel better to call it that then ok, why did you Borrow  that page you've been looking at repeatedly? What does it say that is so important?" Hudson asked as he pulled out random books from the shelf reading the title and the putting them back. 

"Be careful. Everything down here is very old. And to answer your question, I pulled the page from one of Robert Flanagan's published works. I say published, but I don't think many people have read it or know it exists. In the book he goes over different theory's and myths about dragons and their history. Some myths he debunks, others he claims to be true. The page I took is interesting because it doesn't follow the rest of his writings. At least, it doesn't appear to for someone who isn't familiar with his work and writings." Pixie took the time to explain.