Chapter 18: Chocolate Ice Cream

"Is everything to your liking Miss Zoe?" Thomas, Jale's butler asked, as he placed a plate filled with a hot omelet in front of Zephora.

"This looks amazing! You really didn't have to go to so much trouble." She thanked Thomas.

"It was no trouble, really." He assured her.

Zephora smiled and sipped at a glass of cranberry juice Thomas had poured for her. She was currently sitting at the counter in Jale's kitchen. She took a bite of the omelet and couldn't help sigh in delight.

"This tastes so good. I didn't know vampires could cook human food like this?" Zephora commented before she could think better of what she said. Her eyes went wide, fearing she might have offended the butler who was also a neck biter.

To Zephora's relief, Thomas only chuckled. "I can see why you might think that. But I assure you Jale would never hire a butler who didn't know his way around a kitchen. He does entertain humans from time to time."

Zephora couldn't help but smile. "I guess that makes sense." Then a thought occurred to her. "And what does he do with these human guests exactly?"

"What do you mean?" Thomas asked in confusion.

"Well he is friendly enough, and doesn't seem as blood thirsty as some neck biters I've known...I..." Zephora trailed off, worried she let her big mouth get the better of her again.

"If you're trying to ask if he has plans to drink your blood, I promise you are safe enough. Besides, I know no vampire that would be foolish enough to mess with a human in master Rafael's care." Thomas informed her gravely.

Zephora frowned. What did that mean to be in Rafi's care. She knew it was all an act, as far her pretending to be his human pet. But since she had bumped into him at the Outer's Market, he had a strange protective manner toward her. She wasn't sure what was the driving force behind this. He, himself, had said that she should never trust any vampire to do  other than what was in their own interest. So how did she fall into Rafi's plans? Earlier when he had left her in the care of Thomas, he had been like a mother hen, fussing over her. Almost as if he was worried about her. But was that real concern, or just a part of the role he was playing?

Zephora wondered what was going on in the meeting right now. Rafi, Jale, and Draedyn had gone back to their discussion once they had left her in the care of Thomas. Because of her great hearing she could hear the hum of male voices in a heated discussion. She knew if she really focused she probably could have picked up parts of their conversation, but she was still trying to process everything that had happened so far. She didn't think she could handle anymore shocks to her system.

Her next point of concern was Draedyn. He was surprisingly kind to Zephora, which she had not been expecting. Unfortunately, if he were to know she was the human he was trying to find in connection with Amelie, she was sure his kindness would become something else entirely. Would he try to kill her? Maybe torture her? Would Rafael try to protect her?

These thoughts persisted as she ate her omelet. She was grateful Thomas had left her to her thoughts by tidying up the kitchen. When she finished she politely put her fork down on her plate and placed her hands in her lap.

Thomas saw that she had finished. "All done I see. Is there anything else you would like  to eat?"   

"I don't believe so. I don't think I have room." Zephora assured the butler.

"What about ice cream? I seem to remember humans like to eat ice cream." Thomas offered.

"Ice cream. Do you have chocolate?" Zephora asked in a hopeful voice. A moment later Zephora had a bowl of chocolate ice cream in front of her.