Chapter 24: The River Pack

Hudson wasn't sure what to say, as he stared in surprise at Leo's appearance. You might say Pixie's potion worked. Unfortunately, there was a side effect of sorts.

They had arrived at Flanagan's Inn just before dawn, and just in the nick of time too. Having traveling companions, that in different ways, happened to be allergic to sunlight made the situation a little tense. While Pixie had assured them her potion would keep Leo from turning into stone, Hudson sure didn't want to be driving down the road when they found out one way or another. Then there was Amelie of course. While part of him thought a vampire burning to a crisp in the sun wasn't necessarily a bad thing, he also knew how upsetting that would be to his friends.

Hudson recognized the inn. He remembered staying there when he was younger with his parents. There was a main sitting area off to the right of the main lobby that consisted of a small desk for checking in. A large brick fireplace was the focal point of the sitting area. From there, there were a few upholstered arm chairs on the other side four square tables were arranged for sitting and eating. Hudson had memories of a warm fire and guests visiting amongst themselves. There was no sign of anyone now, making Hudson wonder if the owners had quit the place for good. He'd add it to the list of questions he had for Pixie. He didn't know how someone so tiny could hold so many secrets and quite frankly be so terrifying at the same time. He only hoped she'd arrive soon.

They had taken a few minutes to look around. Amelie quickly excused herself once she found a room she thought suitable for her needs. The room was at the end of the hall and only had one window. She quickly pulled the heavy curtain closed making the room completely dark.

When Leo had handed Amelie a pack that contained her blood pouches, Hudson took that as his sign to leave. Leo followed shortly after. Once they had made their way back to the main sitting area, they stood by the window waiting for the first rays of sunlight. Hudson couldn't deny that he'd been curious to see what would happen to Leo and if the potion would work.

"Well... you're not stone at least." Hudson offered.

Leo glared at him. "You hesitated. I look hideous don't I."

"Why's that a problem? You are a gargoyle after all." Hudson asked with a mischievous gleam in his eyes, then added, "This sudden concern for your appearance wouldn't happen to have anything to do with a certain fire haired neck biter, would it?"

"Why would you ask something like that? Why should I care what Amelie thinks." Leo asked defensively.

Hudson decided to ease up on his friend a little. It was true the potion had kept him from turning into stone. However, everything else about his appearance when he was in stone form was the same. Hudson wouldn't say he was hideous, he just looked less human and more beast like.

"Honestly, I think the horns look pretty cool. Who knows, maybe Amelie will too?" Hudson offered, hoping to sooth his feelings a little.

Leo glared at Hudson. "Would you drop it. I told you, I don't care what she thinks." Then he turned and stalked away in a huff, his wings dragging behind him.

"Where ya going?" Hudson called after Leo.

"To have a better look around the place." Leo called over his shoulder before he disappeared through the door.

"Well, I guess I'll go for a run. Maybe scout out the area." Hudson said out loud to the empty room. "Just in case someone was wondering."

******

Hudson could feel his wolf's elation  as he took control. His bones cracking and reforming until he shifted fully into a large golden-brown wolf. He felt his powerful legs, as he ran through the trees and along a river bank and continued to pick up speed. He had not strayed too far from the inn, but he circled the perimeter with a two mile birth. So far he had not seen any signs of trouble, but you could never be too careful. Especially when in the company of the most wanted vampire at the present time.