Chapter 23: Tracking Zephora

Once the last light of day had disappeared beyond the horizon, Rafael arose swifty. Even knowing Zephora was somehow gone, he went straight to the room where he'd last seen her lying in slumber. She did not know that he had checked in on her shortly before dawn to ensure to himself she was alright. Even though Draedyn had seemed to come around to their point of view, he still felt wary. He didn't like the protective feelings, as well as the hunger to taste her sweet life's blood, that surged through him simultaneously. On the one hand he wanted to protect her, and on the other, he knew he was the one she really needed protection from. If he could claim any kind of control over the demon he felt inside, he would stay as far away from Zephora as possible. Yet he knew, even with that knowledge, he would not. He knew she would go home, and even if she didn't go there directly, it was only a matter of time before he found her. After all, he could track anyone and anything.

Rafael looked around the guest bedroom. She had left nothing behind, except for the the dress and shoes she had worn. He held the dress to his nose. Her scent still lingered there, teasing him. He couldn't help the amused grin that came to his face. If she wanted to play a game of cat and mouse, he was more than willing oblige her.

Rafael sensed Jale near. A moment later he appeared behind him. "How'd she manage to get away?" Jale asked in surprise.

"I should be asking you that question. I thought you said it was impossible for her to leave?" Rafael replied giving his friend a hard time.

Jale shrugged his shoulders. "I obviously underestimated the girl. Same as you."

It didn't take much investigating before Rafael was finally able to get a rough idea of how Zephora had managed her escape. The tree limbs that were recently broken, gave Rafael unwelcome images of Zephora jumping from one tree to another nearly twenty feet, with only a few flimsy branches to break her fall. "The foolish girl could have been seriously injured! What was she thinking." Rafael exclaimed.

"My guess would be, she wanted to get as far away from you as possible and at any cost." Jale responded with a little chuckle.

Rafael glared at Jale. "How do you know it's me she was trying to get a way from?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because I am handsome and charming... while you on the other hand, have the personality of granite." Jale poked fun at Rafael.

Jale didn't have time to react before Rafael threw him through the air. Rafael couldn't help but laugh at Jale's stunned expression when he found himself thrown into a nearby tree. Wood splinters billowed out around him. Jale stood quickly, brushing himself off.

"You really need to work on your sense of humor." Jale suggested.

"What's wrong with my sense of humor? I thought it was rather funny seeing you fly through the air." Rafael responded casually.

"Haha... So what about Zephora then? What's your plan now?" Jale inquired, changing the subject.

"Same as before—" Rafael started to say, before abruptly stopping. Then paused, as his senses picked up another person near.

"I think we're about to have company." Rafael warned.

Jale raised an eyebrow and asked, "Pleasant company?"

"I wouldn't count on it." Rafael said under his breath.

Rafael watched as a blurry form came speeding toward them. The form came to a stop only feet away. It materialized into the image of the last vampire Rafael wanted to encounter at the moment.

Rafael glared at the fool of a vampire standing there. He was shorter than most vampires, with pale pasty skin. There wasn't anything this vampire wouldn't do, to gain the favor of the Council. He had absolutely no scruples. He also happened to despise Rafael. Rafael had to admit the feeling was mutual.  Right then he didn't have time to deal with worms.