Chapter 27: Spying From The Roof Top

AN: Midweek bonus. Hope you enjoy! Happy hump day! 🐪

Rafael sensed the presence other vampires before he saw them.  "Rafael, I have to say I am glad to have bumped into you." Severo greeted Rafael as he emerged from the shadows. There was a slender blonde female and tall brunette male with him. 

"Severo." Rafael greeted. "We missed you at the meeting with Draedyn. In fact, I believe he was looking for you?"

"Ah yes...I do apologize for my absence. I had a lead on Amelie and I couldn't miss the opportunity to locate her." Severo explained.

Rafael raised an eyebrow. "I would think that's information you'd want to relay with Draedyn as quickly as possible?" Then seeing Severo bristle at Rafael's criticism, he softened his statement by saying. "Did you have any luck?"

"Any luck?" Severo responded blankly.

"Yes, any luck with your lead. Did you find Amelie then?" Rafael questioned. He somehow doubted Severo had. It couldn't be coincidence that he had bumped into Severo when he was hot on the trail of Zephora.

"Ah, nearly. She didn't want to cooperate. I'm beginning to believe that she chose to leave of her own accord. Even still, we must find her. I worry about her. She was in the company of a moon howler, and if you can believe it, a gargoyle. They helped her get away, they must have been under the impression we were a threat. Or perhaps they have an agenda and mean Amelie harm." Severo said in concern. Although, Rafael felt his display of emotion was slightly forced.

"That is very interesting. I suppose I understand your frustration. I to, have not been successful in finding her." Rafael admitted not wanting to reveal too much. Something about Severo was not sitting right with him. Maybe because of his failure to be at a meeting that he had set up to begin with. Especially, with a meting that included his master, Master Draedyn. It was highly unusual.

"I wish you the best in your search. If I gain any news of Amelie, I will be sure to inform Draedyn as swiftly as possible." Rafael said. He knew Severo would not appreciate the suggestion that he would go over his head to Draedyn, but he felt he needed to remind Severo where his loyalty should lie.

Severo didn't completely conceal the venom in his eyes, a flash of red, at Rafael's insult. "Perhaps if we were to combine forces and search together..." Severo managed through clenched teeth, "We could present our success to Draedyn together."

"Perhaps. Only you must realize one thing. I have my own master that I serve. I am willing to share information if it benefits my own mission, other than that..." Rafael trailed off. He could tell Severo, was barely keeping his anger in check. "I'll tell you what, to show you I'm not completely unreasonable, I will give you some information. I have learned of a location where she maybe hiding. Granted, I haven't substantiated the claim yet. In fact, I was on my way to check this location out for myself. How about I give you the location instead." Rafael offered.

"Why would you do that?" Severo asked suspiciously. The other two vampires didn't appear to believe him either.

"I have an urgent matter I must see to at present. By sending you to substantiate this rumored location, I would be able to accomplish both things. I only have one stipulation. If Amelie is there, you must inform me immediately." Rafael explained.

Severo regarded him suspiciously for a short time and then nodded his head. "Very well. Where is this location you believe her to be?"

Rafael could almost read his thoughts. It must have been very difficult for Severo to decide what to do. Of course there was the possibility Rafael wasn't being truthful. On the other hand, the chance that he was....how could Severo pass up the opportunity.