Chapter 20: Going Off Road

Amelie hesitantly followed Leo and Hudson through the backyard and toward a group of trees. She had no idea what their plan was but she was seriously considering taking off as soon as an opportunity presented itself. It's not that she didn't appreciate the help, but she wasn't sure she wanted to be indebted to these people more than she already was.

Even in the darkness Amelie noticed the outline of a barn or shed of some kind. She paused when Hudson walked up to the front entrance. There was a large door with a latch, which he proceeded to open. Once he opened the door, he motioned for her and Leo.

"Are you serious? This is your brilliant idea?" Leo asked in annoyance.

"What's your idea, Hudson?" Amelie asked curiously.

Hudson just smiled. Then stepped aside. "Your carriage awaits." He said gallantly with a bow.

The inside of the shed was very dark. Only slivers of moonlight shown through broken slats of wood. Finally Amelie saw the outline of something big and metal. It took a moment, before she finally realized it was a pickup truck. She couldn't help her feeling of surprise.

Motor vehicles were rarely seen anymore, mainly because the cost to fuel them was so expensive and fuel was hard to come by. She had heard that the more wealthy humans in their compounds used them, but she'd never seen one driven. Most Super Nats had no interest since they had better means of getting where they wanted to go.

"I'm not riding in that thing—that metal death trap!" Leo insisted. He had walked up behind Amelie. Turning, she saw he was serious by the determined look on his face.

"Death trap! This beauty is in excellent condition. Besides, this is the most convenient form of transportation that we have under the circumstances. What other option do we have; me running in moon howler form, or Amelie with her vampire speed, or you flying. Granted, those means of travel would be much faster but we can't travel together and protect Amelie that way." Hudson defended his plan.

"So it runs then?" Amelie asked in surprise.

Hudson looked offended. "Of course she runs, and not only that, but she never runs out of gas. Sometimes it comes in handy to know a spell caster." He said as he patted the hood of the truck affectionately.

Leo looked as if he were about to protest again, but Amelie felt the hairs stand up on the back of her neck. The scent that reached her nose made her take in a sharp breath. "He's here."

"Who's here?" Leo asked in concern. His wings expanding slightly.

"We have to get out of here now!" Amelie whispered forcefully.

Hudson jumped into action. "Quick! Everyone in the truck!"

Amelie hesitated only briefly before following Hudson. She climbed in the passenger side just as Hudson jumped behind the wheel in the driver's seat. Both looked out the window to see Leo still standing there.

"Get in!" Hudson hissed.

Leo cursed under his breath, then opened the rear door on Amelie's side and squeezed in the back. His wings pressed up against the back window in an awkward position. He finally managed to shut the door and none too soon.

Suddenly three vampires with glowing red eyes appeared in the doorway. Amelie knew her own eyes mirrored theirs, along with her fangs that she could feel scraping her bottom lip.

What was merely seconds felt like hours. Amelie couldn't believe he found her. She didn't care what she had to do, she was not going to let him hurt her again—ever.

Her nemesis smiled wickedly at her. "Oh Amelie, your are a lot more cunning than I gave you credit for. Shame on you for ruining my plans. You got lucky before, but this time I'll make certain you are dead." He threatened in such a pleasant manner, Amelie couldn't help but shiver with fear.