Chapter 14: A Grave Situation

AN: I hope everyone is staying healthy and happy. Here is the next chapter and I'm hoping to have a bonus chapter up in the next day or two as well. Please enjoy!

"What are you doing here?" Zephora asked suspiciously.

"Checking on you, of course." Rafael responded, as if the answer should be obvious.

Everyone was frozen in place, not sure what was going on. The tension in the room was palpable. 

"Checking on me?"Zephora repeated Rafael's words, while narrowing her eyes at him. Then it struck her. "You're already calling in your favor aren't you? It hasn't even been twenty-four hours." Zephora exclaimed.

"No need to get worked up little dove. I'm not here to call in any favors for the time being. After all, I do so want it to be worth my time." Rafael reassured Zephora. Though the manner in which he said it was hardly reassuring. He took a few steps closer. "As I said before, I came here to check on you. Good thing too, considering the unsavory company you had a few moments ago. You and your friends have placed yourselves in very real danger."

"How do you figure?" Zephora asked flippantly.

"I think you already know the answer to that question. Although, I imagine you don't understand the gravity of the situation in full." Raphael answered vaguely.

"Is there a point?" Hudson growled.

Rafael smiled, but the there was a seriousness and intensity in is eyes that bothered Zephora. "The point is you're odd little group is drawing unwanted attention from all kinds. You are mixed up in things you don't understand."

Realization struck her instantly. "You knew—You knew the whole time."

"What did I know, dove?" Rafael asked innocently.

Zephora took a step closer. "Don't play games with me Rafi—and stop calling me Dove!" Zephora added, feeling a little flustered. 

"Why should I? I thought pet names was our thing?" Rafael smirked.

Zephora threw up her hands in frustration. "You are impossible! Stop trying to distract me in order to avoid the question."

The mirth on Rafael's face faded into a serious expression. "Yes. I knew the whole time."

Zephora stood there for a moment and then panic filled her chest. Before anyone could say anything, Zephora raced to the basement door, down the stairs, and flung open Amelie's bedroom door. Amelie was no where to be seen. Her blankets and pillows were askew and half falling on the floor.

A feeling a dread swept over Zephora. Turning, she noticed Hudson and Pixie had followed her, as well as Rafael. He didn't come in the room, but stood quietly just outside the door in the poorly lit basement.

Fury washed over Zephora and before she could think better of it, she charged toward Rafael. "Where is she?" She demanded, pounding at his chest. "What did you do to her?"

Faster than Zephora could stop him, Rafael grabbed a hold of her and successfully pinned her against the basement wall with her arms at her sides. "Calm down Zephora. I don't know where Amelie is. Until a few moments before you showed up, I was taking care of those vampires that attacked you in the cemetery."

Zephora gasped. "How do you know we were attacked?"

"Aside from the fact that you look like you just crawled out of a grave, I overheard Pixie telling Hudson what happened." Rafael explained.

Zephora gave him a disbelieving look. "You were spying on us again?"

"Vampire, remember." Rafael said, pointing at himself. "We have amazing hearing."