Chapter 10: An Interrupted Meal

AN: Happy Friday! Please enjoy this bonus chapter.

Rafael knew the blood he helped Zephora acquire, was not for the spell caster's potions. She would never need that much. He was certain it was for Amelie. That also meant Amelie was not doing well. He didn't know how Amelie had come to be with Zephora and her friends, but he figured it was best to leave her there for now. He had intended to follow them home so he could get a better idea of how Amelie faired, but he had to get away from Zephora before he completely lost it. He would pay them a visit soon.

He drained his third pouch of blood in three swallows. After being in the company of the most delicious smelling human he had ever encountered, and not being able to sate his thirst, made him ravenous.  He liked to acquire his meal the old fashioned way, but he was certain in his current state any human he used would suffer and would not live to see another sunrise. No matter how badly he felt tempted to give in to his urges, he knew he must remain strong.

He could not lose control now. He had almost gone to the point of no return before. He knew what he was capable of if he were to unleash his demon upon the world. It had taken him centuries to master himself and always be in control. And yet, it only took one human girl to push him to the edge.

He threw the pouch away in disgust. While the blood diminished his cravings, he felt no satisfaction. He turned toward the brick building he'd taken refuge behind and punched it as hard as he could. Brick and mortar flew in every direction while the building shook in it's foundation. 

"For one who wants to keep a low profile, you seem to draw unwanted attention to yourself. " A familiar voice came from behind him.

Rafael turned to see Jale and another, the vampire who had been sitting with him at the café earlier. He knew his name was Severo, but hadn't spoken to him before.

"Can one enjoy their meal without interruptions?" Rafael retorted, ignoring Jale's comment.

"Funny, you didn't seem to be enjoying it all that much." Jale grinned.

Sighing, Rafael stepped across the crumbled brick at his feet and walked over to the pair. "What do you want Jale."

"The same thing you do I'd imagine.  Amelie's disappearance has caused quite a stir."

"What makes you believe I am here because of her disappearance?" Rafael asked suspiciously.

"We knew the council would send someone." Severo spoke up for the first time. "However, it was not until we saw you earlier that we knew for certain."

"Suppose you are right and I'm here for that reason. What is your interest in finding her?"

Severo looked at Rafael intensely for a moment then said, "Because... she's my sister."

*******

Rafael was not certain he believed Severo's claim to be Amelie's sister but decided it would be best to play along. He wouldn't tell them he knew where she was, for now. He needed to know more about this Severo and find out if his claim was true or not. The council would be displeased if someone got to her before they did.

Discussing such things out in the open was not wise and Rafael had said as much, Jale had obligingly offered the use of his home. Despite Jale's easy going manner, he enjoyed living in the security of his gated home in the hills. Many neck biter's lived together in one location or another. But there were those like Jale, while very social in some ways, he also liked his privacy. For this reason, Rafael agreed that his place would suit their needs for a private meeting.

Rafael currently stood by the window in Jale's office. Jale was lounging on a small sofa, while Severo sat stiffly in an arm chair next to a large mahogany desk.  

"The way I see it, we'll have a much better chance of locating Amelie if we combine recourses and work together." Severo was saying. "If you'll tell us what you know, then I can find Amelie before it's too late"

"You're so certain she's in immediate danger?" Rafael asked calmly revealing nothing.

"I'm certain of it. There have been other attempts at kidnapping her before. Someone wants her for reasons we can only guess. The nature of how she turned up at our coven and the manner were very mysterious. She knew nothing of who she was or where she came from. Draedyn took her in, he adopted her without any question. But now, whoever was in her life before, well we fear they want her back." Severo explained. 

For vampire's, calling one your brother or sister was not the same thing as other species. Vampires were not born, but rather were once human and then turned. Vampires felt as close to a familial connection as was possible, with other's turned by the same vampire. This was true for both killing vamps and neck biters. This was how covens were primarily formed. Older and stronger vampires often used this to their advantage creating covens that were loyal to them. 

For a vampire to adopt another who he or she had not turned, was uncommon.  This made Rafael suspicious. What motive did Draedyn gain in adopting Amelie. He was a very powerful vampire he knew, but he and his coven mostly kept quiet. In fact, until Severo mentioned his name, Rafael had nearly forgotten Draedyn was still around.

Rafael was frustrated. The council had apparently left out a few details. He worked for the council for nearly a century now. While they were not exactly forth coming about every detail in assignments he was given, they always gave him information pertinent to his task. He normally was sent in to be a peace keeper of sorts, or to take care of a rogue vampire causing unrest through the super natural community. Killing vamps often left a trail of carnage in their wake, if not kept in check. Keeping them in check was his specialty.

He normally wouldn't be sent to find one missing vampire, but the council seemed to think it was worth his time to find her.  He needed to find out who Amelie really was. That meant he needed to get close to Draedyn. He would do that through, Severo. He would become his ally and gain his trust.

"We have no time to lose then. I agree that we will need to work together. Tell me all that you know so far, for I was not given much to go on when tasked with finding Amelie." Rafael requested.

"I can give you the circumstance surrounding her disappearance, but I have little to go on as well. That is why I've come to you. Jale was certain you were on to something." Severo responded.

"Why is that?" Rafael asked, turning to Jale who had been silently listening from a relaxed position, with his arm behind his head.

"The human you were with earlier. As I said before, I've never known you to keep the personal company of humans. I grant you she is attractive for a human female, but I know you too well. You wouldn't waste your time on her if it didn't help your purpose. And in this case, that purpose would be finding Severo's sister." Jale said with a shrug.

While Rafael didn't show it, he was not happy how quickly Jale had put two and two together. He had to be careful of what he revealed." I told you already, that is my business."

Jale gave him a pointed look. Rafael sighed, "Fine. I found her scent intriguing and was simply finding out more about her. I've never found a human's scent as peculiar as hers."

"I didn't find her scent so unusual. She smelled like any other human to me." Jale said with a sly grin. "Come now... what is really going on?"

"I've told you the truth. What more do you want me to say?" Rafael insisted. Jale and Severo exchanged a look Rafael couldn't read, but he knew he needed to change the subject fast. 

"How about we meet again tomorrow evening. There is something I want to look into, but it may be nothing and until I know for sure, I won't be discussing it with you. Also, Severo is there a way you could set up a meeting with Draedyn? I wish to speak to him as well." Rafael offered in a way that sounded more like an order. 

Severo frowned but nodded. "Possibly. I'll see what I can do."

"Tomorrow then...?" Jale started to ask but Rafael had already disappeared with a blur. A stack of papers on Jale's desk falling to the ground in a flurry, the only proof he'd been there.

Jale sighed. "That vampire really needs to learn how to finish a conversation."