Chapter 6: The Outers Market

Walking into the old warehouse, Zephora looked around at the line of empty conveyer belts and splintered wooden pallets stacked in piles. There was debris and garbage scattered along the floor. The remnants of the old factory were like ghosts. A reminder how much everyone's lives had changed over the last few decades. Smothering the nostalgic emotions, Zephora walked with Pixie and Hudson to a rusted set of stairs going down toward what was seemingly a basement. The troll guard stood close by, staring them down impatiently. Zephora gave him a bright smile in return before following her friends down the stairs. At the bottom was another metal door. This one they opened and went through without any password.

On the other side was the Outers Market spreading out for what seemed like miles. The under ground market was damp and only lit by lanterns. It was almost like stepping back in time, except with supernats spread as far as the eye could see. There was what might be considered a market square before cobble stone paths spread out into districts. Depending on what or who you were looking for, is what determined where you went from there. Pixie said that the underground had been there for a very long time. Back when super nats hid from the world.

The three of them stood there for a moment, not sure where to go. This was their first time looking for something like blood. There was a district where neck biters tended to mingle, but no one in their right mind would go there without an invitation or some kind of connection. Even though killing vamps weren't known to frequent the market, they occasionally popped up and you wouldn't want to be the unfortunate one who ran into one of them. Killing vamps were notoriously arrogant and felt superior to other super nats.  They usually stayed within their own covens and on the rare occasion they came to the market, it usually was for a specific purpose. The purpose was usually gruesome and meant some poor souls unfortunate end.

"Well fearless leader, have you any ideas on how we're going to get this blood?" Zephora asked Pixie in a slightly mocking tone. 

"Really Zoe...have you no faith in me? I always have a plan. And it just so happens I might know someone we can talk to.  We'll just hope they're in a agreeable mood " Pixie insisted. 

"Pixie, are you sure?  I mean this is black market stuff we're dealing with." Hudson said the last part in a whisper not wanting to draw unwanted attention. "I mean were talking criminals and thugs here not annoying street vendors."

Pixie shrugged her shoulders. "It so happens I have a few connections." 

"You really are terrifying sometimes, you know that you don't you?" Zephora informed her friend.

Pixie just sighed and walked away. She turned when no one followed her at first. "Are you coming?" she asked impatiently. "That neck biter doesn't have much time."

**********

Even though Zephora was human, she was happy she didn't stand out to much. A few market goers gave her curious glances but most went about their business. She was not the only human that had super nat connections and it wasn't wholly uncommon to see humans around the Outers Market.

As Hudson and Zephora followed Pixie to where her connection was, Zephora couldn't shake the feeling that they were being followed.  She had the same feeling earlier like they were being watched.  She didn't know if she was being paranoid or if her senses were kicking in. Either way, she was begining to feel edgy.  She took a few breaths to calm her nerves.

They came to a tent like booth with a red velvet curtain that served as a door. An older man  slightly hunched over stood near the entrance. Pixie went up to him and said something Zephora didn't catch. He gave Pixie a hesitant look and seemed like he was about to send them away.  Pixie pulled out one of her potions. "Tell Nadia I have a potion she will most certainly want." Pixie insisted. The old man grunted but disappeared inside the booth.  They waited for a few minutes and then he came back out. "Madam will see you." He said gravely.