Chapter 13: Fight In The Graveyard

"Killing vamp? But it's the middle of the day!" Pixie said, jumping up from her chair.

Zephora walked over to the window and saw dark clouds that covered the sky. With a sigh, she turned to Pixie. "It's over cast and looks like it's going to rain."

"Rain isn't good. Can you still follow the scent, find out how close they are?" Pixie asked, as she raced around the kitchen grabbing a couple of potions.

"I think so...it hasn't started raining yet. I can't tell how many, but they're not extremely close—a few hundred yards away maybe."  Zoe ran a hand through her tangled curls, and started toward the door. Pixie called out, "Don't forget this!" Zephora turned just in time to catch the wooden stake Pixie threw her way. At the door, Zephora gripped her knives in her hands took a deep breath and both girls slinked carefully out the front door. As they neared the front gate, Pixie stopped.

"Hold on a minute! We can't leave Amelie unprotected and Leo won't be much use right now." Pixie said, then she began to chant under her breath her violet eyes swirling with power. For a brief moment, Zephora thought she saw the farmhouse shimmer but the effect was gone just as fast as it had begun. When Pixie finished her incantation she turned to Zephora. "Now we'll know if something or someone tries to break in while we're gone."

"How will we know?" Zephora asked in confusion.

"Trust me Zoe, we'll know." Pixie reassured her.

Zephora decided it was best not to question her further and focused on tracking the scent of the killing vamps. "The scent seems to be coming from up the road....I think the cemetery. " Zephora informed.

Zephora felt the fall of rain, as they stealthily made their way toward the cemetery, trying to keep out of sight as they approached.  Keeping to a grouping of trees, they scanned their surroundings looking for any sign of killing vamps.  Zephora felt her heart pumping fast as adrenaline raced through her veins. The smell of death was now very pungent and she knew a killing vamp was close by. How ironic they were in a cemetery, she thought to herself. 

Zephora felt Pixie nudge her then looked in the direction she indicated.  Just beyond the trees, near a large decaying headstone, there seemed to be a shadowy figure but it was hard to make out clearly. Then she caught sight of red glowing eyes — they were looking right at her.  Then glowing eyes disappeared, before she had time to react something caught her from behind and she found her self flying through the air. She landed on her back, she felt a painful throb pulse though her but had no time to dwell on it. She rolled to her feet and held her knives out in front of her. In front of her stood a killing vamp. He was pale and thin and had long dark hair pulled back in a ponytail at his neck. He laughed wickedly. 

Suddenly, the sound of thunder and then a flash of lightening filled the sky. The killing vamp stalked toward her, a predatory grin spread across his face. "I do so enjoy a challenge." The killing vamp spoke his voice was laced with evil intent. "Either way I shall enjoy draining you of every last drop of blood."

In a flash he charged toward Zephora with inhuman speed. She guessed his actions a fraction of a second before and just narrowly jumped out of his reach. Spinning around  Zephora swung out with her knives, ready for another attack. Now there were two killing vamps facing her. The other was shorter but had a bigger build than the first. They approached her slowly trying to corner her. Where was Pixie?  Just as the thought came to her mind, Zephora noticed plumes of fog billowing around her and along the ground. They continued to spread out before her and enveloped the killing vamps. Just before the fog impaired her vision completely, she noticed Pixie coming up behind the  killing vamps, who seemed momentarily confused by the sudden fog cover.