Chapter 7: Unexpected Help

AN: This posting is later than I had intended. My family had an unexpected loss. My grandfather passed away last week at the age of 93. He was a wonderful man who we will miss terribly.  He and my grandmother were married for 74 years if you can believe that.

Zephora only half listened as Hudson and Pixie brainstormed different options, trying to figure out what to do next. She was still feeling on edge. She felt a shiver run down her spine and found her self scanning the milling throng of market goers. Unconsciously she found herself reaching for the wooden stake hidden under her jacket.  

"Do you have any ideas Zoe? You're awfully quiet." Pixie nudged Zephora trying to get her attention. Then seeing the look on her face, Pixie realized something was wrong. "What is Zoe?" 

Zephora didn't answer but slowly rose to her feet. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she took in every smell and sound around her before once again scanning her surroundings.  Behind them, where the lantern light didn't reach, everything faded into shadows. Out of the corner of her eye Zephora saw the slightest movement. Before anyone had a chance to react, Zephora turned and using the wooden bench they were currently occupying propelled herself into the air. On her way back down, she collided with something hard in the darkness and found her self tumbling with another pair of arms and legs. It was like wrestling granite; cold and hard. For a moment she felt as if she were trapped beneath a mountain. She felt their grip loosen slightly and and with all her strength threw her body upward, rolling both of them until she had her assailant pinned beneath her. With the stake pressing against their chest, Zephora gazed into a pair of red eyes glowing back at her. She felt a large hand close around her throat. The pressure of his tightening grip brought tears to her eyes, but she still managed small gasps of air.

For what seemed several moments but in reality was only seconds, Zephora felt herself unable to move.  Whether he was a neck biter or a killing vamp she was not certain. His scent was strange to her and very overwhelming. She usually had no problem identifying a neck biter from a killing vamp, but the scent of the one before her, was unlike any she had come in contact with before.

"Let her go!" She heard Pixie shout from behind her. She saw them rushing toward her from the corner of her eye. They froze in place when they realized the situation.  One wrong move and vampire could crush her wind pipe.

"Go ahead.  Pierce my heart with that crude weapon, if you dare." Taunted the vampire. He had a deep voice with a slight European accent, though Zephora could not have placed from where. "Although..." He continued. "It would not take much for me to end you. Just a flick of the wrist and I could snap your neck."

"That's...a risk... I'll have to...take. How do I... Know...you won't kill...me anyway." Zephora managed between gasps, barely able to speak with his long fingers closed around neck.

To Zephora's surprise the vampire chuckled."You are the one who attacked me. I was merely defending self."

"Why are you following us?" Zephora squeaked out?

"Honestly? Curiosity." He stated simply. "I'll tell you what–put that stake away and I'll let you go of your neck.  I'm sure we can discuss your situation in a more civilized manner."

"Didn't listen to him. You can't trust a filthy blood sucker." Hudson growled.

Though he was addressing Hudson, he continued to look at Zephora. "You really have no choice dog. After all, you were you not looking for one of my kind any way."

The vampire noticed their surprised looks and chuckled again. "You weren't exactly being discreet, especially your mut here."

Hudson growled and his eyes began to turn gold at the insult. Pixie grabbed his arm as if to hold him back. The last thing they needed was for the situation to escalate.