Chapter 15: A Stone Prison

Leo looked toward the darkening horizon, waiting with a sense of urgency for nightfall. He sat in a crouched position in his stone form. Sometimes he didn't know what was worse; not being able to move, or being completely aware of everything around him at the same time.

Being paralyzed in stone during the day was his curse for wrongs he committed in a past life he was sure—though he could not remember. Most often he was able to drift off into his thoughts in an almost sleep-like state. However, today was not one of those times.

When Pixie and Zoe had left the house earlier, he could tell something was very wrong. When those vampires showed up a short time later, he felt helpless and frustrated. He could do nothing but watch in horror as the vampires broke the front door right off it's hinge. He knew they must have been there because of Amelie.

When the ground around the house began to shake, he hoped it was enough to send the vampires running. They seemed stunned at first, then continued into the house and closer to Amelie.

He felt his wings fight their granite form.  He longed to swoop down and rip the vampires apart—to show them how powerful he was. The need to protect Amelie surged through him and yet, he could do nothing.

When he'd seen Amelie appear from around the side of the house a moment later, he felt his nerves relax slightly. She looked up at him for a brief moment. He longed to tell her to run, to get away from there. Luckily, she seemed to have the same idea. She was gone in a blur, her crimson hair like a river flowing behind her until she was out of sight. If he could have, he would have breathed a sigh of relief. Amelie seemed to be much stronger and healing quickly. She'd at least have a fighting chance if it came down to it.

He waited for the vampires to figure out she was gone. He knew they'd try to track her down. He was glad for the rain fall that would wash away a lot of her scent and make it harder for them to follow.

Then a third vampire showed up seconds later, he truly thought he'd go mad. The vampire didn't barge through the door like a clod, as the first two had done. He moved like a panther, cautious but quick and agile, toward the house, taking in everything. This one knew what he was doing. The only question was, what reason was he there for? Leo had been surprised when the vampire looked up and regarded him for a moment, almost as if he was asking permissions to enter.  Then with a nod he'd disappeared into the house as well. Leo heard arguing and then shouting. There were a few loud thuds like someone falling and hitting the ground. The fighting continued for a time and then everything went quiet.

He couldn't describe how he felt when Zoe and Pixie had returned, along with Hudson. He'd wanted to warn them about what was inside. Though, from the looks of things, they seemed to have a pretty good idea. They had entered the house cautiously and Leo felt a small amount of relief. With the three of them, they could face what was waiting inside. He hoped anyway.

He wasn't sure how long it had been,  but he watched in confusion as Zoe exited from the house with the third vampire. They were speaking as if they knew each other.  If he was a killing vamp, Zoe would have known. She most certainly wouldn't be having a casual conversation with one. He must have been the neck biter that helped her. The neck biter then took off with Zoe before he could blink—if he could have anyway.

With the setting of the sun, Leo felt that all too familiar tingle that coursed through him as he once again became flesh and blood. His wings itched with anticipation. Before he was completely transformed he broke free of his stone prison and stretched his wings wide. With a loud roar he launched himself from the roof, soaring through the air. He took a moment to feel the cool wind flow over and around him. He beat his wings downward and took himself higher.  He loved the feel of his powerful wings, as he soared through the sky. The rain had subsided, but moisture remained in the air.  He felt droplets of water along his skin and he breathed in the crisp evening air. This was freedom. Then remembering all that had happened earlier, he turned in a wide arch until he was flying back toward home.