Chapter 29: A Dark Angel

"Where's Leo?" Zephora asked.

Amelie looked behind her at Zephora. "I don't know. I thought he was back with Collin and now I can't even see him or his light stone." Amelie said with a frown. 

She really didn't need to wear the glowing stone around her neck to see. She was made to see in darkness. Yet, for some reason the stone was comforting, especially when everyone else was wearing one. She could look ahead or behind at her newly found friends and see their light stones, and for the first time in a long time she didn't feel alone. And it was easy to keep track of everyone.  

"Uh...He said something about hanging back. To make sure we weren't being followed." Hudson called back hesitantly. He was up the trail a ways and he paused to add, "He's probably just back beyond that last bend we took. I'm sure he's not too far."

"Not so loud Huddy. Noises echo down here." Pixie cautioned. Amelie wasn't surprised by Pixie's concern.  Amelie couldn't seem to shake the feeling that they were being followed. "Look up ahead, there's a bridge. We'll hike to that point and wait for Leo there."

Everyone looked to where Pixie had directed. "You call that a bridge?" Collin muttered. He was another of their group that had been avoiding Amelie as much as possible. Not that she cared. She didn't understand why he was there anyway. She didn't care if he was Hudson's friend, she didn't trust him. From the looks of things, the feeling was mutual.

Unfortunately, Amelie had to agree with Collin's assessment of the bridge. It looked more like rope and a few planks of wood scattered across it's length, some hanging down not completely attached anymore.  It took about five minutes for everyone to make their way along the trail until they came to the rope bridge.

"Pixie... I don't think this is safe to cross and that's literally a ravine down below it." Zephora commented. "I don't know why spell caster's would use a bridge like that, especially when they could just magically build a better one."

"You have to remember no one has used this route for ages. Back when spell casters used this bridge I'm sure it looked very different." Pixie explained.

"So, who's the lucky one who gets to test it out first?" Hudson grumbled. Everyone took a small step back. 

"Why don't we wait for Leo to catch up and then we can decide what to do?" Amelie suggested. She was beginning to worry about him. She didn't know why he was avoiding everyone and she didn't know why, but for some reason it bothered her that he might be avoiding her specifically.

"Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm human and  we've been at this for hours. Honestly I really need to find the little girls room." Zephora chimed in. "While were waiting for Leo, I'm going to walk back a little ways and see if I can find somewhere private to do my business."

"Now that you mention it,  I need to go too." Hudson announced. 

"Well, you can just find somewhere else to go that's not near me." Zephora insisted. 

In the end, everyone but Amelie decided they needed relieve themselves. Zephora and Pixie walked off one way and Hudson and Collin went the opposite way. Since Amelie didn't have that need she offered to stay by the bridge in case Leo showed up.

"Remember the buddy system and don't go too far and get lost." Amelie called after their retreating figures. "Yes mother!" Zephora called back in a joking tone.

Amelie frowned when she realized she was the only one who didn't have a buddy and she was by herself.  Then she straightened her back and lifted her chin. She would be fine. She was strong and powerful— a vampire that could take on almost anything or anyone. Except for when she was nearly killed by Severo and his groupies. She tried to push away that depressing thought from her mind. Just because he nearly killed her, didn't mean she wasn't strong— and yet she felt her confidence waning.