Chapter 12: Spell Caster's Brew

AN: I decided to post the next chapter today. I'm going to be working on some editing and improving the first several chapters. That will take some time, so my next posting will probably be later next week. Please enjoy!

Zephora awoke to sun light streaming through her window. She covered her face with her arm, trying to shield her eyes from the sun's brightness. Feeling groggy and sore she finally managed to pull herself out of bed. While she dressed, she thought of all that happened the day before. She would have almost believed everything that happened to be some kind crazy dream, but her aching muscles proved it was real. Looking in the mirror, she saw slight bruising on her neck. Finding her self fighting with two separate neck biters in one night was a record, even for her.

Her mind drifted to Amelie. She was more than curious about what had happened to the girl. She couldn't help but feel unsettled. Of all the vampires she had encountered, whether killing vamp or neck biter, they were always arrogant and dominating. They were strong and powerful, and the way that they carried themselves said that they knew it. Even though Amelie had initially tried to attack Zephora, she knew it was only an instinctual will to survive that had driven her; beyond that she only saw someone broken. Zephora felt a shiver run down her spine. Whoever had the ability to bring even a neck biter to their breaking point, was not someone Zephora wanted to meet.

Shaking herself from her thoughts, Zephora made her way downstairs. She heard her stomach growl in hunger and headed for the kitchen. It was an old fashioned kitchen, quite literally.

The only places that really had electricity anymore were human compounds. Such luxuries didn't exist in the Outers. Thanks to Pixie and her magic, they had a means of refrigeration and keeping their food from spoiling. They were also lucky enough to have a well out back and a plumbing system that allowed for running water in the house. The stove however, was an old fashioned pot bellied stove that required wood or coal to burn. Zephora steered clear of the old monstrosity, as she'd aquired too many burns to count from failed attempts at using it. She and the others gratefully left Pixie to the cooking. The kitchen was Pixie's domain anyway, and she let everyone know it.

As Zephora rounded the corner, she had to stifle a laugh. Pixie was standing on a step stool in front of the monstrous stove, stirring something in a large black pot with a wooden spoon. She looked for a moment like the stereotypical spell caster cooking up potions in her bubbling cauldron. The only difference being that her fashion sense was a lot more spunky and modern.

"Is that breakfast, or dare I even ask what you're cooking up?" Zephora asked hungrily.

Pixie turned at the sound of her voice and gave her a pointed look. "Breakfast? Ha! You wish." She turned back to her pot and continued stirring. "It's nearly noon, you'll have to fend for your self at this point."

Sighing a little, Zephora walked over and grabbed a pear from a bowl of fruit on the counter. "What ya making? or is it brewing?" Zephora asked curiously, with a mouth full of pear.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth, it's disgusting." Pixie scolded her.

"Yes, MOM." Zephora retorted.

Pixie turned and placed a hand on her hip. "I'm brewing, if you must know." Pixie informed her, ignoring Zephora's childish response.

"What potion are you working on now?" Zephora asked, as she finished off her pear and threw away the core.

"Oh...just something that may be useful down the road." Pixie stepped down from the stool and walked over to the table where an old leather-bound spell book lay open. With the point of her finger she scanned the page.

"That's not vague or anything." Zephora said in annoyance and sat down in the chair at opposite end of the table. Pixie currently had an odd assortment of jars spread out on the table and Zephora preferred to sit where she didn't have to stare at strange ingredients.