Chapter 32: The Gala

"Zephora, my dear! You had us so worried when you disappeared like that!" Jale exclaimed, as he picked her up in a bear hug and swung her around. Zephora heard what sounded almost like a growl coming from Rafi, who was standing behind her. Zephora squirmed in Jale's arms, her feet dangling off the ground.  "Alright! Put me down Jale." 

He set her back on her feet with a grin, ignoring her grumpy mood. Then he turned Amelie, who was standing next to Rafi. "This must be the elusive Amelie! It is my pleasure to finally meet you, officially. I don't know if you remember, but we met once some years ago, though we never really had a chance to speak."

Amelie raised an eyebrow and Zephora could tell she didn't know what to make of Jale's exuberant behavior. Most vampires were much more subdued and serious. "I have a vague recollection. I believe you had business with Draedyn at the time."

"Yes, yes that is true." Jale confirmed and the changed the subject. "I am so glad to have you as guests in my home—of course I've already been delighted to enjoy Zephora's company here and Rafael, though he doesn't really count as good company." Jale finished his rambling with a wink.

"Can we get on with it!" Rafi interrupted impatiently.

"See what I mean about good company?"Jale whispered to Zephora and Amelie, as they made their way inside. Zephora rolled her eyes and he gave her subtle wink in response. "I will show you fine ladies to the guest room that Zephora used last time she was here. I figured neither of you would have had time, what with all your running around, to find something suitable for tomorrow evening and I had a few dresses brought in for you to look at." 

"What are you talking about? What is tomorrow evening?" Amelie asked baffled.

Zephora was just as confused but the word dresses caught her attention, a knot forming in her stomach. "What do you mean you've picked up dresses. Why would we need a dress?"

"You haven't told them yet, then?"Jale directed the question at Rafi. "Well, no time is as good as the present. I'll let you fill the ladies in on the plan, while I go speak to Thomas about some human food for Zephora. I'm guessing you've neglected to feed the poor thing again." Before anyone could respond, Jale was gone.

Zephora turned to see Rafi glaring at Jale's retreating figure. Then he sighed before saying, "Tomorrow is the Inter Species Gala, which is really just an excuse for vampires to have a party and try to lord their loftiness over other species, specifically humans."

"I thought you said you were going to give us protection from Severo? How would going to a party accomplish that exactly?" Zephora asked with her hands and her hips.

"For many reasons, one; Draedyn is planning on meeting us there, which is something else I promised to help you with. Secondly; it is a public place where Severo would be a fool to try anything. Last, but not least, the Vampire Council insists they see Amelie for themselves, to see that she is alive and well." Rafi explained.

"Draedyn will be there? He never attends events like that, especially when they involve the council." Amelie insisted, then added  "What is the their great interest in me? Why do they care? I don't trust them." 

Rafi gave Amelie an intense look. "I see Draedyn's distrust of the council has rubbed off on you. Unfortunately, they will get to you eventually. If not me, then they will send someone else. I have my own miss givings about what they want with you, but this will give you the opportunity to find out either way."

Zephora felt something wasn't right. There was obviously more going on and they were in the dark. Amelie must have felt the same way, because she said at last. "I'll go then. You're right. I need answers and I won't find them hiding away."