Chapter 35. Why me?

This is it. Today is the game. "The remach" as some call it. 

I only arrive with Basti at stadium half an hour before the game, before there was a huge deadlock on the road. Here are so many people! I need to push myself through the crowd. Finally, after 10 minutes, I get to the staff door. I run through the corridors as quickly as I can. I arrive in the dressing room, breathless.

"You were late!" Jogi screams at me.

"I know, but it wasn't my fault! There was a deadlock on the way here!" I shout.

"Why didn't you came with Lukas?" He asks.

"But you said..." I start to say.

"I know what I said! But sometimes, I'm not always right!" He interrupts me. "Whatever, let's get going!" He shouts and I, the other staff and reserve players go to the bench. I'm sitting between Thomas and Lukas. 

The players go to the pitch and then, Philipp, Miro and Per announce their retirement and I think I'm crying. I know, in some point it's good, to make room for new talents, but still, the team won't be same without them. I'm gonna miss them so much!

The game starts and already I'm sweating. I know, it's just a friendly, but still, winning is the best.

But what's that? It's only the 20th minute and Argentinians already score. Manuel is visibly upset. I think that this what happened yesterday still affects him. 

Julian gets hurt, he's out, Lukas is in. Before Poldi goes to Jogi, to make substitution, he smirks at me and points at Julian. I roll my eyes and push him away.

"What was that?" Thomas asks.

"Oh, nothing, he just wants to see Julian and me together," I explain.

"Oh," he starts laughing. " You would look cute together," he says.

"No, Thomas, no. We're just friends. Besides, I think I like someone else," I start mumbling at the end.

"What did you say? Who? What? When? Why? What happened?" He goes crazy.

"Not telling," I smirk at him and Julian appears next to me.

"Not telling what?" He asks. 

Thomas starts to talk but I interrupt: "He just wanted to know what present he'll get from Lisa for his birthday," I quickly say.

"Oh, okay," Excellent. He suspects nothing.

What is happening? The first half isn't over and the score is already 2-0? I am so mad right now.

The first half is over and players go to the dressing room. Me too, of course. Halfway there, clumsy as I am, trip over something.

"Do you need any help?" Someone offers me his hand and asks me in English with a weird accent.

"Yeah, thanks," I grab his hand and look up. I almost fall over again. It's Messi. 

"Sorry for my rude question, but what are you doing here?" He asks.

"I work for the German team," I answer.

"Oh, too bad, I almost thought we could be friends," he starts laughing. "But what's your name? I'm Lionel," He says.

"I'm Alissa," I say and try not to giggle. He just makes me wanna giggle!

"Nice to meet you, Alissa. I really would like to stay and chat some more, but I really have to go now," He says and runs away.

"Making some famous friends, aren't we?" I hear a voice behind me.

"Erik," I say through the teeth. "Stay away from me, you asshole," I say to him.

"Oh," he pretends that he's hurt. "But you're not really thinking that, am I right?" He smirks.

"Fuck you," I say and run back to the field.

I don't even wanna watch the game, because it's so depressing. We got 2 goals, but Argentinians have already 4. There are few minutes left, and what happens? Marco gets hurt. Really badly. I run to the field. It's good to be a part of the staff. 

"Marco!" I shout and run to him. "How bad is it?" I ask.

"Really bad. No, not again!" He screams in agony.

"Shh, it's going to be okay," I try to calm him down.

"No! It's not! I'm out! Again! Why me? Why, Alissa, why? What bad have I done to deserve this?" He almost starts crying.

"Marco! It's going to be okay! I'm here, you see? Everything is alright," I say.

We help him to the bench and the game ends with 4-2. Great.

---------

Don't forget to vote & comment! Thank you so much for over 500 votes and over 12k views! I love you all!