17. Find My Own Way

Neveah Jones
Miami, Florida
Airport

I got off of the flight with Cassidy, the girl who I was sitting with

I got off of the flight with Cassidy, the girl who I was sitting with. I grabbed my bag from her and put it on my back.

"You want me to walk you to your mom?" She asked me as she put her Fanny pack on.

"Nah. I'm fine. Thank you." I smiled. "It was nice meeting you. You're the best."

She gave me a hug and ruffled my hair. "You too. See you around maybe."

"See you."

I told her goodbye since her mom was waiting for her and the two of us parted ways.

Going inside, I looked around and headed for the entrance of the airport. I dialed Nilan's number on the app and waited for her to answer. I had butterflies to see her again.

"Hey! I see you. You see me?" She asked with a smile.

I looked all around and then down at the phone. "Nah. Where you at?"

"Look up."

I looked up and saw her sitting on the chair next to the candy shop. She waved and I ran up to her, attacking her in a hug.

"I can't believe it's you! I missed you so much, Neveah!" She beamed.

"I missed you more, Nilan! Oh my gosh!"

We hugged even tighter and then released. I couldn't help but to smile because this was so awesome.

"How was your flight? I've been here all night." She laughed.

"It was good. I met an older girl named Cassidy and we pretty much slept the whole six hours. Did you sleep here?"

She nodded her head and we started walking out of the airport. "Yes. It wasn't as peaceful, but I got a lot of rest."

The sun shone brightly on us as we headed for the park next to the airport. It was so hot down here that I had to come out of my jacket.

"Have you explored since you been here?" I asked her looking around at the beautiful city.

"No. I was too scared to do it alone. The places where mom took me when I came here was beautiful. I don't know how to get to it." She shrugged.

"What was it like?"

"It was a beach. It's easy to survive there because it's a good place to hide out and they have food stands with snacks."

"I was thinking that too. Because who knows how long we will be down here before mom and dad starts to notice that we've run away."

Nilan's head dropped as she let out a big sigh. I knew she was sad about what happened with Daddy. I still couldn't believe it myself.

"I thought he cared for me until he realized that I wasn't you. His girlfriend treated me so bad. I was so sad." She begin to tear up.