29. Confidently Stupid

[Authorial Note: They're in seventh grade]

Nevaeh Jones
Malibu, California

I fixed my braids into a bun and put on my school clothes for another day at middle school. Nilan was on FaceTime singing Rihanna as she got dressed as well. Except she was getting ready for bed.

"So I got the private account and Denver helped me get a PayPal card so I put the money on that card," Nilan explained as I took a couple of selfies.

I smiled wide at the news. "Good. I'm gonna ask someone at school to help me get a PayPal after school. Maybe Chrissy can help since she has an older sister."

"Just let me know. I took a lot of naps in class today and after school so I'll be up tonight getting extra things ready."

"Well we still have a week and a half," I told her. "And plus, we still have to be really cautious."

I placed my school lunch bag in my backpack and slid on my sweater.

"You about ready for school?" Nilan asked me.

"Yeah. Headed down so I'll call you at lunch. I promise." I assured her before locking my bedroom and going to the kitchen.

"Okay love you." Nilan told me.

"I love you more."

I hung up and put my phone in my backpack. Going into the kitchen, Bobby placed my oatmeal and toast in front of me.

"So have my daddy been here?" I asked him.

"Mm hm," He mumbled with a kind of look on his face. "He came by early this morning with his fiancé. That star chick. I don't know her name."

"What did he want?"

Bobby sat in front of me and sighed. "He came here looking for documents. I don't know what kind. But he went into his study with her for a while and then they came out and left around six this morning. All I know is they are engaged."

"I don't like this. If they get together, me and Nilan will never be under one roof and it's not fair to us." I complained.

"Listen, Nevaeh," Bobby rubbed his eyebrows. "There's nothing we can do about your dad. I'm sure he still has love for your mom, but he's marrying someone else. You need to accept the fact that you and Nilan won't be together as long as your father is married to the star chick. You are gonna get yourselves hurt."

I rolled my eyes because I didn't care about the winded tripe he just went on. My sister and I will be under one roof whether we have to leave or not.

It seemed nobody is on our side. Nevaeh and I was stripped from each other all these years. Almost thirteen years without each other is mind blowing. We didn't deserve that. Our parents obviously don't care about us and how we feel.

I finished my breakfast and went out to the truck. I strapped in and texted Nilan to keep her awake. Then I went to school.

"So can your sister help me?" I asked Chrissy as we sat down at lunch with Nilan on FaceTime. "Did she agree?"

"My sister said she has a PayPal and she agreed to help because she understand how y'all feel not being able to celebrate together. After school, we can meet at the library. There's a private room in the back. She will bring her laptop and help you set up everything. Free of charge."

I smiled in relief. "I appreciate you so much."

"Are you sure your parents won't know?" Chrissy questioned again for the third time.

"We're positive. They tend to not pay attention to us." Nilan shrugged.

"Okay. Well directly after school, we will meet and get this done."

The school bell rung. I looked at Nilan as she smacked on her fruit platter. Chrissy and I walked the hallway until we got to class. We had a sub.

"You're in class?" Nilan asked me.

"Yeah, but we have a sub so I can talk. You got everything in line for Operation Twitch?"

She laughed a bit. "Yeah. Operation Twitch is a go."

I slid in my desk after signing in and got comfortable to watch Netflix on my iPad while on FaceTime still. Chrissy sat close by me and this boy named Daniel got on my other side.

The substitute did his introduction and then took a seat. He handed us a worksheet that I did in between talking and watching movies.

"Nilan!" I heard our mom yell in the background.

"Ma'am?" Nilan answered.

"Did you buy a dress with my card?" Nicki questioned.

"No. I don't ever use your card."

Nicki smacked her teeth. "Then who did, Nilan, because you're the only one with my information?!"

"Mama, I ain't do that. I promise."

I could see Nicki from the camera angle. She rolled her eyes at Nilan and started cursing at her. Nilan huffed and slammed her room door, locking it shut.

"I ain't even buy nothing with her card. She tripping." Nilan tooted her nose up.

"Who you think did it?" I asked.

"I don't know. I have to do some investigating because she claims the dress is in my size, but I haven't ordered a dress at all."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Somebody setting you up?"

Nilan pulled out her laptop and started googling. I continued watching the show until I heard arguing. It was on Nilan's end.

"Ni, who she arguing with now?" I whispered.

"She's arguing with Chef. I don't know what she got going on."

I laughed. "Well she going off on everybody about her card. Time will tell."

"It sure will."

The call got quiet. I leaned back in my seat again and got more comfortable for the next hour.

Nilan eventually hung up, but I was nervous because if somebody's setting Ni up, then it's only a matter of time before our birthday plans get ruined.

— HEY YALL!

— Here's an update.

— What do y'all think is going on?

— Who used Nicki's card?