20. Finder's Keepers

Nilan Jones
Miami
Starbucks on the Northside

"I found a girl beautiful and sweet. I never knew you were the someone waiting for me." I sang as Neveah and I sat at Starbucks.

We left Cassidy's house this morning to go back to the beach and we found this Starbucks. I wanted Neveah to try the strawberry smoothie mom gets all the time.

"Well I found a man stronger than anyone I know..." I continued singing as she swayed softly.

"You sound so good." She cheesed.

"Thank you. I try." I shrugged.

"Keep going."

I took a deep breath and continued singing "Perfect" by Ed. The Beyoncé version.

"...Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song. I have faith in what I see...Now I know I have met an angel in person. She looks perfect."

My eyes started tearing up and I wiped at a stray tear. This song is what I've been practicing to sing to Mom for Mother's Day. It would be in a Mommy-Daughter type of version.

Neveah's smile begin to drop as she traded sides and sat beside me. I leaned down on her shoulder and dropped a few tears.

I missed my mom. My face, my heart, and stomach hurts every day. I never been so far away from her for so long. I need her.

"Don't worry, twinnie. We gonna see mom again soon." Neveah kissed my forehead.

"I hope so. I don't wanna run no more." I sighed.

"I understand. Cassidy said Mom was on her way here. She may find us. We just have to stay visible on the streets, which is also dangerous." She explained.

"Okay. Let's just go."

I grabbed my bag and she grabbed hers. She held my hand and we walked out of Starbucks and out to the open.

"We can play at the park in the meantime? Maybe they'll come right here."

I bit my lip. A sudden wave of realization fell on me.

"You know what? We should find that beach Mom took me to. I don't think it's that far from here."

"Okay. You sure it's not the beach we were at?" Neveah asked me as we begin walking the busy streets.

"No. I remember this beach. It wasn't as big, but it was beautiful. It was called Palm something."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Veah shrugged. "Umm lets just ask that bus driver right there."

We went over to the city bus driver. He looked up from his papers and gave us a tight smile.

"Hi. Do you know how to get to the palm place with a beach? We need to get there." I explained.

"You mean Palm Beach? Yes. Hop on and I'll take you." He offered.

Skeptically, we climbed aboard and sat down in the front.