one⚡

winnie

"Come on Nthanda, we need to get home and pack." I stated excitedly. I was basically bursting with joy while Nthanda showed no enthusiasm before.

"Sis it's a field trip in New Orleans not a vacation to Hawaii." She shut her locker, using the right side of her body to support the weight of her bag.

"Sounds the same to me." I pulled on my backpack straps and smiled brightly at her.

"What's so good about a field trip in New Orleans anyway? Not like they got any male strip clubs or some type of shit like that." Nthanda complained, popping her gum loudly. Sometimes I couldn't believe we were related.

It was 3:00 in the afternoon right after school. Usually I would wait thirty minutes in the library before walking home alone.

But right now, all I wanted was to rush back home to pack for New Orleans.

Part of school tradition, the eleventh graders got to take a trip to New Orleans for a week.

And boy was I excited.

Not only because I enjoyed going places,
but because of the jazz, the music, the culture....

Just thinking about it made me feel bubbly and warm inside.

Nthanda however, was not having it. She would have rather stayed at home with my aunt, and that speaks volumes.

They didn't really get along.

"I need to sleep." Nthanda groaned as we trudged down the road towards our house.

"No we need to pack." I stressed.

"Fine... But I need to get some condoms on the way." She yawned.

I looked at her in shock and embarrassment. I didn't really lean towards the subject of sex with enthusiasm.

Especially with Nthanda. She was wild.

"You know... Just in case I get some fine nigga to—" She smirked impishly.

"Okay. That's enough. I don't wanna hear about what you...do." I stuttered obviously flustered.

"Oh my God you're so cute. Look at you blushing."
Than teased, pinching my cheeks.

"Stop." I frowned playfully huffing...

Nthanda just smiled at me.

...

"You're gonna wear that?!" Nthanda stared at my baggy tee's in disgust.

"What's wrong with em?" I wrapped a pair of baggy mom jeans over my arm and placed them in my box. I was too lazy to fold properly.

"They're old and they don't show anything." Nthanda replied in a matter-of-fact tone. We were currently sitting in my room (which was the attic) packing.

I really didn't care for my outfits. I loved wearing baggy clothes, they were comfortable and I didn't have to show anything.

I really wasn't the biggest fan of my body. Not because it was terrible or anything but I got a lot of uncomfortable stares and unnecessary attention.

"You know..." Nthanda grinned mischievously.

"How about I pick one outfit—"

"No." I cut her off before she could even finish her suggestion.

"Win..." Nthanda whined like a little child.

"No." I said firmly. "You're probably gonna have me wear a tube top and booty shorts."

"You know me too well Win." She shot me her signature impish smile.

"Come on... It won't be that bad. It's just one day."

"It's not even a discussion."

"Hey, booty shorts keeps voodoo away." Nthanda smiled innocently.

I threw my head back and laughed.

...

"Alright students please get in your designated buses. Oh, Winnie, looks like you're on my bus." Mrs. Valencio stated as she clicked her pen.

I turned to look at her list, hoping me and Nthanda were on the same vehicle... Because like she's my only friend in this school.

Since I'm literally the most shy person you could imagine, I keep to myself. It's not like I have anxiety or anything, but I mentally prepare myself to say my name during roll call in homeroom.

"Shoot." I muttered under my breath, Nthanda wasn't on my bus, we both frowned at ourselves. I would have to sit at the front next to Mrs. Valencio.

"Ummm...." I hinted, hoping Mrs. Valencio would understand that I was begging her to change my seat. She wasn't my favorite teacher, but she was nice and sweet. The librarian who wore glasses and had flowing wavy gray hair.

"Oh you're real lucky." Mrs. Valencio said while I held onto Nthanda's hand tightly.

"Huh?" We both looked at her hopefully, praying she was going to say we were in the same bus.

"Winnie's roommate is on her bus."

I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"Who?"

"Jean." She smiled at me.

Me and Nthanda shared a look.

"Jean Robinson?" I inquired, hoping she would say no.

"Of course Jean Robinson dear."

Holy Shit.