six🔸

winnie's pov

"Girl! How come you getting all of this attention all of a sudden?" Nthanda dipped her fry in ketchup and looked up at me. I shrugged, blushing. It was lunch time and I sat in the cafeteria with Nthanda, at our usual table, surrounded by Nthanda's friends. Nthanda was the more social of us two, she was that kid that was cool with everyone. Knew who was dating who, what events were coming up, always somehow had an invite to a party. That was just Nthanda.

"Sshh." I mumbled, taking a bite out of my burger as I discreetly watched Aaron at the other end of the hall eating.

I had gotten to class late but thanks to Aaron, Mr. Green didn't even give me detention or publicly humiliate me or anything like that.

He was a teachers favorite, people just loved him and were drawn to him, he was a natural leader.
He caught the attention of everyone, and girls were no exception. So when I say I was more than pleasantly surprised to find out he was interested in me, I meant it.

"He's so fine. He could eat my ovaries." Nthanda whispered under her breath.

I giggled.

"Ugh! I need to get something from the store after school." She said disappointedly. Slumping, her shoulders.

"I can come with you if—"

"Nah. Its all good. You go ahead." She cut me off quickly, going back to her phone. "Jean can give me a ride."

"You and Jean are getting real close huh?" I asked. I wasn't jealous or anything, like I said, Nthanda was cool with everyone. Its just that they were spending a lot of time together so I was just curious.

Nthanda smiled softly and nodded her head. "She's real sweet. And she's the kindest human being ever."

I've never seen Nthanda be this soft spoken. I shrugged. "Okie dokie." I mumbled and took another bite of my burger.

...

"You didn't have to drop me off." I huffed. Aaron insisted on dropping me home. Not like I had a problem with it, but I like taking the bus, I can think and not have to sit next to him in the car, inhaling his addictive scent and listening to his beautiful voice and.... you get the picture.

"Its cool, I gotcha, I live not too far from here so, its no big deal."

"Touché." I gave a small smile.

"You're real fine. You know that right?" He asked, staring at me.

"Well, I mean, look at me," I flipped my hair over my shoulder and smirked playfully.

He started to laugh and I joined in.

"And funny too. And to think my cousin was trying to stop me from approaching you." I rose my brows in shock. Jean wouldn't do that. I thought she liked me. I thought we were friends.

She probably had a good reason. But she would tell me, right?

"Oh, we're here." I said. My jaw hurt from how much I had been smiling. He's literally the funniest person ever. He parked behind a black minivan across my house.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Anytime. You can ride with me everyday if you want." He offered.

"That's way too much to ask from you I —"

"You didn't ask I offered." He gave me a small smile.

"Sure. I'd like that a lot."

"I'll be here by seven in the morning. That alright with you?"

That's one thing about Aaron that made me even weaker in the knees, he had a slight southern accent. So did Jean but she spoke without any, like she was

"Sure." I gave him a small smile and hopped out of the car, grabbing my keys, earphones and a pack of gummy worms he gave me.

"See you tommorow." I smiled.

"Countin on it." He drove off.

And as soon as his car was out of sight, my phone rang. I picked up without looking at the caller ID.

"Yello!"

"I believe I was supposed to be expecting a call from you."

My heart skipped a beat.

"Mr. Machiavelli."

"Guilty." I could hear the smirk over the phone already