twenty three 🧩

nobody's pov

"Where are we?" She asked, after Zachary abruptly stopped the car.

"You said drive anywhere didn't you?" He retorted smartly, he snapped his car compartment open and pulled out a cigar, using his left hand to fish in his pocket for a lighter. He lit it and took a puff.

She thought smoking was a disgusting habit but the man sitting next to him made it look like an art form, a skill.

She observed him for a moment, taking in his wavy blonde hair, the light brown freckles that scattered across his nose and cheeks. His rosy lips pushing out the thick cigar smoke. Peering closer,  she noticed a faint scar sitting at the bottom of his sharp jawline that drew as far as behind his neck. Almost invisible. He was absolutely beautiful. An other worldly kind of beauty.

She turned to the window, taking in the scenery.  They were parked near a field, with nothing but miles of green stretching ahead. She let the rich smell of tobacco and fresh air fill her lungs.

She peered up at the blue sky and sun that flooded the are with light. Even though they were out and open in pure day light, this felt more intimate than it should have.

"You seemed stressed." He spoke slowly, eyes half closed.

"I...I'm just a little overwhelmed right now."  Remembering Jean's contempt tone of voice when she chided her, She sighed, trying not to let those words get to her.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking?" Zachary asked. Winnie sighed again, anxiously fiddling around with her fingers. Eyes on her hands that restlessly moved on her lap.

"Hey. Hey. Look at me."

He softly but firmly gripped her chin, encouraging her to look up at him.

Her face tingled, and the sensational feeling ran through her veins, sent chills down her back, this shouldn't feel as good as it felt. She didn't feel this way even when she was in Aaron's room on his bed with his head between her legs, talk less of when he touched her.

Chestnut met Hazel.

His eyes were painfully piercing. Everything about him looked so good it hurt. He never failed to make her dizzy, or make her stomach turn when he spoke, or her knees weak when he smiled.

"A problem half shared is a problem half solved."

Zachary probed, her eyes were so deep. She was so ravishing.  He had to remind himself not to look at her lips, or he wouldn't be able to control himself.  Her skin was so smooth, so soft.

He let go of her chin and stared at her, never breaking eye contact. She seemed to be holding her breath.

"I...I just... You know my friend? Jean?" She said breathily, licking her plump lips as she waited for his response.

He knew Jean. The jealous prude. He didn't like her much, even though he had encountered her only once. She was pretty, but still the least attractive in the friend group. And everyone knows that the least attractive friend is always trying to fucking gatekeep.

"She's the one with the curly hair yes."

Winnie nodded.  "Well... I don't know if I told you this... I think I did though, but she got us to try out for the cheer squad. Just for fun, she said."