10 - It's Not What You Think

Chapter Four Continued

On Monday morning, I'm a total wreck

On Monday morning, I'm a total wreck. I've lost my cellphone. All weekend I'd searched everywhere for it but had no luck in finding it. I was forced to leave home without it, it felt like I was missing something crucial like my pants. One good thing does come from losing my phone. My friends thought I'd been ghosting them all weekend and it prompted an apology.

Katie apologized for overreacting about Ari. And I apologized for keeping my lab partner a secret. I explained I was worried they would've tried to make me spy on her. In which Kris and Katie both responded, that's exactly what they would've done. Figures.

At school, I'm standing in the courtyard with my friends. I'm silently suffering and mourning my loss while I wait for the first bell. I end up telling them the truth, I hadn't been ignoring them, I'd lost my phone. They are happy to hear it and offer to help me retrace my steps. The thought of them snooping around Ari's room and under Cameron's bed makes me laugh—on the inside.

"Oh my god! Is she coming over here?" Kris exclaims.

I look to see who they're talking about. It's Ari and she is, in fact, heading directly towards us. Or more accurately towards me. She gives Kris and Katie a polite smile then she looks at me.

"You left this..." She pauses, then glances between Kris and Katie. "Uh...you left this...at my house." Ari stretches out her hand with my cellphone in it.

I'm so excited to see it. I want to jump up and down and hug her. I don't though. Kris and Katie are watching. We'd only moments ago patched things up. I quickly take it from her hand.

"Thanks, Ar..." I start to say and stop myself. "...Aurora."

She tilts her head and opens her mouth as if she's going to speak. Then she nods and leaves without saying goodbye. Kris and Kate, look at me as if I've contracted a rare disease.

"Aurora..." They both start.

I point my cellphone at them. "Don't even."

They shrug. As if to say they would never, but I can see the scheming and questions in both of their eyes. Thankfully the bell rings before they can say anything further.