30 - #photooftheday - pt. 3

Chapter Ten continued

I am met face to face with Ari

She is disgustingly flawless. Like she'd slept well, had time to do hair, make-up, and had spent a few minutes extra on her outfit. It wasn't fair. I'd wanted her to look broken.

Ari is leaning against my porch banister, she is deep in contemplation and hasn't noticed me yet. I pivot around to go back inside.

"Wait, please?" She begs.

I don't want to wait. I want to get away from her. She'd won. She always won. What more did she want from me? I stand with my back turned to her and my hand on the doorknob. I don't want confrontation. I turn the knob to go in.

"I'm sorry." She says again, it's the third time she has said. She's come for forgiveness. "I didn't have sex with Cam."

My hand tightens on the handle. His nickname on her lips slices me like a knife. It was so intimate. Had she always called him that, Cam for short? I barely understand the meaning of her words, I just hear his name. Had she said his name when she was having sex with him?

I swivel around to confront my tormenter. I'd thought my actions for the last couple of months were consequence free. Now the devil disguised as an angel is here to collect.

"I don't believe you, Aurora."

Her mouth opens. I adjust my backpack on my shoulder. Her friends call her Ari, I was no longer her friend.

"Please, leave." I plead.

I hate asking her for anything. I wish I'd told her to leave without the desperation in my voice. I'd made a promise to not to let anyone, especially Aurora, see how badly I hurt. Her appearance alone was making thin cracks in my poorly put together facade. I trudge past her and towards my car.

She shouts at my back. "I'm a virgin!"

I'm caught off guard and turn to look at her. She is clearly a liar.

Aurora sees the disbelief in my eyes. "I know you don't believe me. Because of the rumors, who in their right mind would." She crosses her arms around herself in an embrace. "I drank too much. Things got out of hand..."