36 - #Metoo - pt.4

Chapter Twelve continued

Saturday

I wake up to a bright beam of light streaming from the window and into my eyes. The sun is too low and bright. I get the discombobulating feeling I've been asleep way too late. I throw my covers off and search my bed for my phone. It's no longer on my pillow or in my sheets but lying on my floor face down. I flip it over. Ari still hadn't responded to my text. The time flashes across the screen and I leap out of bed.

"Oh, no, oh, no, oh no." I chide myself in a panic.

It's already after one. My mother must have let me sleep in. I run over to my closet, grab a pair of jeans, and a shirt. Then I race to the bathroom across the hall. I don't bother showering but brush my teeth and splash some water over my face. I race back across the hallway. I grab my keys and my phone. I make my way towards the door and about to open it when my mother calls for me from the dining room.

"Honey, where are you going?"

I'd forgotten I was grounded. She'd only let me go to Prom because it was Prom. I wasn't supposed to leave or doing anything fun without a permission letter and a detailed dossier of where and why I was going. She would not approve of where I was going or why.

"The library." I lie and then I run out of the house.

She manages to squeeze out one question right as the door closes behind me. I didn't technically hear the question, at least not the full question, therefore I don't have to answer it. I am going to be in some much trouble later. I climb into my car, start the engine, and peel off down the driveway into the street.

I arrive at Ari's house a little after 1:30 PM. She hasn't responded to any of my text, but I'd let her know I was coming ten minutes before I'd arrived. I go over the script in my head as I walk up to the front door of her house.

Kris and Katie were right. I didn't have proof, I didn't know all the details, but it didn't have to stop me from at least making her aware. I also needed to apologize profusely. And most of all I needed her to know what had happened wasn't her fault. Ari had gone through much in the couple months I'd known her. More then I'd experienced in a lifetime.