24 - Wish you were... - pt.1

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I arrive at Ari's house bearing gifts, Starbucks

Cameron and I had a great night together. He'd taken me to see the playwright Billy Elliot. It was perfect and afterward, we'd had enough time to go back to his place. No cops were called. We managed to make it back before eleven. Barely. Then I'd had the best sleep of my life. My head hit the pillow and then it was morning.

Ari groggily opens the doors and squints as if she's never seen the sun before.

"Long night?" I ask and hold a latte out for her.

"Yes. I love you! You're the best." She takes the latte from me and kisses me on the cheek. Then she takes a long drag from the cup. She opens the door wide for me to come in. The house is a mess. It seems while her parents were away her bedroom had invaded other parts of the house.

I smirk but don't say anything. I don't want her to tackle me again—she might spill my latte.

"Do you mind driving?" She shoves clothes into a bag resting by the door. "I want to catch some Z's."

"No problem." I didn't mind at all, I was excited to drive my new car anywhere. Ari hands me a bag from the floor. Then she grabs two more bags and slings them over her shoulder and precariously balances her latte in the other hand. She takes a look around and then we head out to the car.

"Nice, car," Ari says. I pop the trunk and we both load her bags and sleep-gear in with my things. "Birthday gift?"

"Yep," I say proudly. "Now I can visit Cameron. Or we can meet halfway."

She grumbles unintelligibly then climbs into the passenger seat. It sounded like she'd said "great", or "oh just great". I note the sarcasm. She's clearly not a morning person. I get in the driver seat and push start the engine. Ari programs the location into the navigation system.

Lake Havafunn. It was a city known for its rich historical background, outdoor activities such as hiking, canoeing, camping, wake-boarding and of course parties on the beach. It's a popular spring break location known for its massive parties. I'd Googled it.