41 - Confessions of a Teenage Drama King - pt. 5

Chapter Thirteen continued...

My mother stops mid-sentence when she sees me and James is standing by the entrance

My mother stops mid-sentence when she sees me and James is standing by the entrance. I hastily wipe the tears rolling down my face onto my sleeve. I hadn't realized I'd been crying so much.

My mother is in yoga pants, her gym bag is hanging over her shoulder, and her mat is tucked under her arms. She scrutinizes James then turns to look at me.

"Oh, you're right here." She says.

I clear my throat and stare down at my feet. I don't want her to see the grief in my eyes. "He's on his way out."

Her timing couldn't have been more perfect. She always arrived around this time after Sunday morning yoga. There was no better way to end a conversation than to bring your mother into it. And this conversation didn't need to go any further. James had admitted it. He's guilty and he's realizing the conversation is over as well.

"Good. I'm new at this but I'm sure having boys over alone in the house is against the rules of grounding." She smiles at me, but her eyes are piercing. "But since he's here. Would you like to stay for breakfast?"

My mom gives him her most charming smile. The one she used when attempting to get out of speeding ticket or wanted extra samples at chocolate shops. It's all dimples and flirtation. And it's incredibly embarrassing and makes me nauseous.

"Thank you, ma'am. But I have church with my family." He gives my mother his own charming smile, but it only churns my stomach. " My mother cringes at his use of ma'am.

James's eyes bore into mine. Then he says in a hush toned though I know my mom is listening to every word.

"Remember what I said. Think about Ari." Then he lets himself out.

"Cute boy." My mother comments.

I groan.

"What?" My mother says in exasperation. "I'm just saying. Are you to...?"

"No! Please, stop! He's Ari's boyfr...." I can't make myself say it. I grab her shoulders and try to direct her towards her bedroom.

"Oh?" Her eyebrows rise and her voice is full of innuendo.

My attempt to corral her into another room fails. She plants her feet and heads towards the living room. She messily places her bag on the couch and her mat on the table. Then she gives me a knowing smile. I think I know where she is about to go with her next statement, but she throws me completely off.

"Why are Kris and Katie hiding behind my couch?" She asks.

Of all the times for her to choose to be observant. Kris and Kate stand up from their perspective hiding places. They wave.

"It's nothing. They're helping me." I say.

She looks between the three of us. It's one of those times I'm not sure how much she understands. Parents are strange or at least mine is. Sometimes my mother is clueless and way off base like her implying James and I were a thing. Gross.