31 - Déjà Vu - pt. 1

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I wait in my car until the first bell rings

In the mornings, I'd gotten into the habit of hanging around Aurora's friends or the dance team— a.k.a Aurora friends. I couldn't stomach it. Before them, I'd hang out with Kris and Katie. After I'd blown them off at the party, let's face it, and for the last month. I didn't think I'd be welcome. The car was a safe option. No need to socialize with anyone.

Today was a short day with two, two-hour classes, and a forty-five-minute break in between. I finish my first exam and head to the lunchroom. I'd skipped breakfast and hadn't eaten the night before, otherwise, I'd have waited the breaks out in my car.

The cafeteria looks like any other day. Only there's a happy end of the year buzz and everyone is lugging around yearbooks. I buy my food from the cafeteria line and without thinking I head toward Aurora's side of the cafeteria. I catch myself and stop. Thankfully, I'd only taken a couple of steps. No one would've seen my mistake. Not that anyone cared.

I have nowhere to sit. My situation would be comical if it wasn't so tragic. It reminds me of Mean Girls when Caddy eats her lunch alone in the bathroom stall. There were a couple of years in middle school where I did eat alone. Not in the bathroom— gross. I'd sit alone, scarf down my food, then head to the library for the rest of lunch. I'm considering it as a viable plan.

"You want to sit with us today?" Katie is standing next to me. She has a tray in her hand and a concerned smile on her face.

I nod my head and follow her to the table. I sit down. Kris grins and everyone else pretends to go about business as usual. As if I'd never left. I know it's not the case, but I am grateful for their attempt at normalcy. Every now and then I catch them glancing at me when they think I'm not looking. And no one is talking about the Dirty.

Despite my attempts to ignore the chatters and whispers, I couldn't. It's what everyone was talking about. Before a test was passed out, in the halls, right after the end of the bell. No one was talking about me. No one knew I had anything to do with anything. It was all about Aurora and her "orgy" at her birthday party. No one cared my...I mean how Cameron had cheated on me with her.