35 - #Metoo - pt.3

Chapter Twelve continued...

"James roofied Ari at the party last week

"James roofied Ari at the party last week. I want her to know before she's alone with him.".

"What?" Katie says incredulously.

Her expression says it all. She thinks I'm crazy.

"Whatever. I didn't ask you to believe me." I say and head for the exit. I needed to find somewhere quiet to call or text Ari.

"Wait." Katie leaps in front of me.

Why were people always getting in my way?

"How do you know this?" She asks.

I try to step past her but she persists and steps in front of me again.

"Tell me." She demands.

"Cameron, alright!"

I don't mean to shout it but this entire interaction with her is annoying me. Kris moves to stand in front of me as well.

"Cameron?" Kris asks.

"Yes!" I huff. "Now please move! This is all my fault. I have to fix it."

"We will. You sound like a crazy person. We'll help you fix whatever you think you've done. Just explain." Kris says calmly.

I close my eyes and try to push down the rising panic. I take a deep breath and open them. "Cameron is here. He said James roofied Ari at the party." I feel the familiar tingle in my eyes and try to push back the tears. The guilt is sitting in my stomach like a heavy stone. "I was angry and jealous. I blamed her for what those creeps did to her. I have to help her."

"I understand," Katie says.

I shake my head. How could she understand?

"No, believe me. I do." She sucks in a deep breath.

And then I remember. They'd been best friends and Katie had betrayed Ari. But my betrayal was far worse, I didn't deserve to be forgiven.

"Listen to me." Katie starts. "You need to be absolutely sure you've got your information straight."

I roll my eyes. What did Katie of all people know or care about getting facts correct? She lived on gossip and fake news. The Dirty was her favorite source of entertainment. I pull up Ari's contact information on her phone and I start writing her a text.

Katie places a manicured hand over my screen. I scowl and pull my phone out of her reach. She circles around to face me but she doesn't put her hand near my phone again.

"I know I'm the worst person to hear this from. But this is a huge accusation and your source isn't exactly reliable. This is serious James could go to jail."

She wasn't concerned about Ari. She was concerned for James, her crush. Her words make me madder than a pack of wild dogs on a three-legged cat. I didn't care what happened to James, he deserved it. My text was taking longer than it should, but I was angry and having a hard time getting my thoughts straight. I wanted to compose a message to get her away from James.