29 - #photooftheday - pt. 2

Chapter Ten continued

The photo is of Ari and Cameron in bed together

It's seared into my memory. Cameron's lips are on hers and his lips are curled up into a smile. Her arm is raised and clings to his shoulder. They are both topless, but his muscled arms and body are draping around her blocking her bare breast out of the frame. The picture only goes waist up, but I don't need to see any more to know what's happening.

I stare at Ari in despair. She is still looking up at me from the floor of the bathroom.

My heart is shattering into a million tiny shards. My head is pounding and filled with a thousand painful thoughts. My whole body hurts as if someone has beaten me with a wooden bat a million times over. Over and over and over again until my soul has been bashed into billion pieces.

I should say something. Scream at her, hit her, make her feel worse than I do.

I don't. I can't.

I can barely stand straight. I desperately want to be a stronger person. I want to be capable of saying something witty and sharp, to say the right words to cut her down and make her feel as I do. But even then, I know there is nothing I could say to hurt her the way she has hurt me. And deep down I know there is no point. Tears blur my vision. I can barely see.

Ari doesn't care about me. Otherwise, she wouldn't have done this. She wouldn't feel the words I spoke, she would only feel physical pain. I'm not a violent person. I choose to say nothing and walk away.

I sprint into the bedroom and fall to my knees in front of my bag. I collect and frantically shove my things into it. Then I stand and fling it on to my shoulders. Ari is standing by the door, blocking my escape. I shove past her and into the hallway.

"I'm sorry." She says again to my retreating back, but it comes out as a stutter. "I-I-I...don't...I don't...rem..."

I whip around. She is closer than I'd thought. She flinches and steps back. I see it in her eyes, she'd thought I was I going to hit her. There are tears in her beautiful grey eyes and they're rolling down her angelic face. And it's all a lie.