33 - #Metoo - pt. 1

Chapter Twelve

I decide to go to prom

To call it a decision might be overstating my powers of negating peer pressure. I should restate it, Kris and Katie made me go to prom. I hadn't wanted to go. It was only junior prom there was always next year.

I'd been happily prepared to Netflix and Chill. Kris and Katie, on the other hand, had other plans of how my evening was set to unfold. They'd been the ones to convince my mother to let me go. They'd done it by ratting me out about the break-up. Once my mother was on board, there was no turning back.

They both had dates. Katie had her boyfriend and Kris had brought a guy he was dating from his acapella group. It wasn't a third wheel situation or fifth in this case, we'd gone as a big group. Our usual tablemates had come with us and not all of them had dates. But I hadn't spent much time with the group since I'd left them for Aurora. A point Kris and Katie were sure to emphasize when manipulating me into going.

The gymnasium I'd spent hours in for dance practice had been transformed into the glamorous set of every teen movie ever. No, I shouldn't say that. It was more tasteful.

The lights had been dimmed changing the mood of the usual blinding florescent bulb. Dark burgundy curtains and streamer hung from the high vaulted ceilings. String lights were draped along partitions, tables, and the constructed stage. The decorators had projected scatter beams of light across every surface, making them looks like stars. The theme was starry night.

I was impressed especially since I knew it was student made. There is a good chance it wasn't all that impressive. Truthfully, I'd never ever been to a dance before. I know shocking, seeing as I'm the life of the party type.

We gave our tickets and flash our student IDs to the teacher guarding the front of the gymnasium. Then we were directed to the voting booths. There were real curtained booths with iPads bolted down in display cases. It prompted you to enter your student ID number and then you were able to choose the prom royalty from either the junior or senior class. I hadn't cared or paid attention when the vote ballots at school had been passed to narrow down the prom royalty candidates. There'd been a surprising amount of kids running.

Campaign poster had littered the walls of the school and there'd been enough vote for me cupcakes and cookies to give every student a case of sugar-induced diabetes. When the paper had come around in class, I hadn't recognized the majority of the names. I'm pretty sure I'd voted for Daenerys and Jon Snow. There'd been a write-in option, and I couldn't help myself.

The first name on the royal court was no surprise at all. It's Ashley, Aurora's frenemy and James's ex. The second name I didn't know. Courtney was the third option. I'd seen her campaigning, and most people liked her. But the fourth name did surprise me. Aurora.

I know for a fact she hadn't run for prom queen. She hadn't made one glittered poster or passed out a single snickerdoodle. It meant without even trying people had decided to write her name in.