25 - Wish you were... - pt.2

Continued Chapter Eight

Her parent's lake house is an adobe styled one floor home

Her parent's lake house is an adobe styled one floor home. It's not directly on the lake but less than a mile away. The backyard is modernly designed and has a pool overlooking the lake and the mountains. I can't believe her parents have a place like this and don't just...live here.

"You like?" Ari calls.

I'd been looking out at the backyard from the glass sliding doors.

"I love it." I turn around. She is on her laptop.

"What'cha ya working on." I walk over to see her screen.

"I brought this to play the music through the built-in speakers. I also wanted to ask you a favor." She turns the screen towards me. It's an airline's webpage. Why was she showing me her miles? She had a ton.

"Go to Paris with me." She says. It's not a question, but one of her statements. I'm about to say I can't afford to. "It's the birthday gift my parents got me. They also got me a spare ticket for a friend? You have a passport, right?"

"Uh..." I'm speechless and also grounded.

"Ari, I'd love to go but I'd have to ask my mom."

And my dad. I spent a part of my summers with him. And I'd been hoping to spend the rest with Cameron.

"Would she really say no to a free trip to France?" Ari asks.

Truthfully, no. My mother loved to travel, but that was before I was in trouble.

She says pleadingly, "Come on, it's my birthday gift to you. And going would be your gift to me? Please, it's only a month."

A month in France with Ari. Sounds like more fun than I could imagine. And if it wasn't the entire summer, my mom said I was only grounded for two months. I bet I could convince her to end it early. And I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind me skipping one summer.

I give her a big smile and say. "I'd love to."

"Excellent!" Then she clicks on her computer and smiles at me mischievously. A small ding comes from my pocket. I pull my phone out. I have an email from an airline. I open it. It's an electronic plane ticket.