Chapter 23

SHEANNE

We felt like we're saved.

The teenage boy, who introduced himself as Daniel, took us in his house and offered us food and made us rest in his comfy bed. It wasn't easy to explain to him about our situation because we're still not ready to tell our bitter story to anyone. Ariela managed to fabricate a story about us finding ourselves missing inside the forest and that's how he ended up finding us.

I was thankful when he didn't ask anymore counting the fact that Ariela and I have wounds in our body and faces, partly from Tyler's treatment and partly from falling from the two-storey house.

"Well, have a good sleep ladies. Rest well." He told us before turning around and closing the door.

Ariela and I didn't speak after that. Maybe because we were still taking in the fact that we are finally free from Tyler's hands.

No more brutal treatments, no more dark rooms, no more suffering, and lastly, no more Tyler.

I breathed deeply still thinking about all the other things that happened to me starting from the day that Tyler took me in. Those were the memories playing inside my head before I drifted in a long, peaceful sleep.

-

My eyes flashed open as my mind tried to remember the dream I had just now. It was then that I realized I was catching my breath.

A chain was wrapped tight all over my neck. It slowly became tighter and tigher, making it hard for me to breathe. Suddenly, I felt as if the chain disappeared and Tyler was in front of me now, stretching his hand in my direction. He was smiling so genuinely so I reached unto his hand, only to be slapped by the chain and after that, I found my neck being wrapped again, not by the chain but by Tyler's rough hands. His smile turned into a demonic laugh as I feel my consciousness drift away.

"Hey, you okay?" Ariela asked from beside me. I totally forgot that we slept in the same bed last night.

I sighed heavily reminding myself that it was just a dream and that there was nothing to be worried of. We finally escaped from him and we're never gonna go back to his grip.

"Yeah, just a little nightmare." I told her as I removed the cover from me and helped myself to stand up.

"It's him right?" She asked as she followed me to the door.

"Yeah." I opened the door and was met my a surprised Daniel. He had his hands stretched forward as if he was about to open the door too.

"Rise and shine." He casually told us with a wide grin on his face. "I made us some breakfast."

"Thank you." I told him. Not just because of the breakfast, but because of everything. We wouldn't be waking up this morning if not for him. We would surely be dead inside the forest either because of health failure or because of Tyler finding us. I'd choose the first.