Chapter 24

SHEANNE

We were all silently eating our food when Daniel's phone rang, making him excuse himself and leave Ariela and I alone.

"Sheanne, aren't you feeling weird or something?" Ariela asked me while I was busy munching my food.

"Hmm? No. What kind of weird feeling?"

"I don't know. Maybe because I just can't believe that we're safe now. I'd swear I will do all I can to bring back my scholarship from now on so that I won't wish for my death anymore." She jockingly told me and we both laughed.

Daniel came back to the dining room looking a bit flustered.

"Girls, I think we're going to have some company." He said not even bothering to take a seat.

"Whose company?"

"My dad." He muttered that word hesitatingly.

"Oh, we're fine about that. If you're that nice, maybe you inherited that from someone." I told him while smiling. "Now take a seat for it would be a waste if you don't finish that delicious meal of yours."

"You don't understand it," he told us and looked down. I gulped. Why do I have a bad feeling about this? "..he will surely play tag with you first before I do."

"Tag?! Seriously?" Ariela and I both laughed at what he was saying. But, he seemed kinda serious, so, in order to set his fears away, I told him, "Okay, we'll play tag before your dad goes home and play it with us before you do."

"You're right. Quite right." He said.

Why do I sense something from his voice? I know I heard that tone somewhere.

When he started to reach for the knife I knew I really heard that tone somewhere. It's how Tyler usually talks when he's about to begin with his business.. killing.

"Now, now, Daniel, you must be joking right? Now put away that knife before it hurts someone." Ariela said panicking.

"I'm it." He flashed a mischievous smile and started to chase after us. We both screamed finding our way outside the dining room.

Ariela and I sprinted to the stairs, which I realized was a bad idea because Daniel grabbed unto my feet making me land with my knees. I tried my best to grab unto the railings but Daniel was strong.

"Take that!" I heard Ariela say as she stomped unto Daniel's hands. Daniel let out a profanity before pulling Ariela's hair. Ariela yelped in response.

It was as if the whole world is in slow motion again. I watched how Daniel pulled Ariela to him and how the knife pushed itself into Ariela's flesh, fresh blood oozing from it. Daniel pulled back the dagger from her body and was about to let it sink in it again.

I felt my whole body weaken. No, no..

"Ariela!" I shouted as I manage to kick Daniel out of the way. Ariela dropped with her knees on the ground, and slowly her body gave in. Daniel came running toward us with his knife aimed forward but I dodged his hit and kicked his legs, then his private part. When he was crying in pain holding where I hit him, I kicked his head too, making him bounce hard to the ground.

I ran to where Ariela is, and I used my hand to block her wound, which was now bleeding uncontrollably. I know moments from now she's gonna run out of blood so I thought about taking her to the first place I could think of, the hospital.

But I don't even know where we're at, and where the nearest house is. I cursed at myself for being so stupid.

"Sheanne, you must run, I'll distract him, you should run." Ariela told me in her weakest voice. Tears fell from my cheeks as I shook my head in response.

"No one's leaving anyone!" I told her. But all she did was stare with horror behind me, and it was too late before I realized that Daniel was holding his knife ready to plunge it inside me.

I suddenly was pushed aside and I heard the most heartbreaking scream coming from Ariela, who managed to take that hit for me. I screamed in hate and agony as she look at me and mouthed, 'Run'

I hated myself. And I am now hating myself more due to the fact that I am actually running away, my coward ass is running away from Ariela and Daniel. I pushed open the door and even with tears blinding my sight, I saw the last man I ever wanted to see.

Tyler Ross.